My Middle

I've been trying to find words to write for Troy's birthday for a couple weeks now... they are failing me. I think because Troy is so complex, everything about him is deep, and intense, and complicated, yet so, so entirely sweet. Instead of trying so hard to make it sound the right way I'm just going to get it all down - for nostalgia's sake - and hope that A) I don't lose this website like I apparently did for the ENTIRE FIRST YEAR OF HIS LIFE and B) I can adequately describe my radical love for this boy.

We went around the table this morning and affirmed Troy, telling him all the reasons we love him, what he means to us - something my token middle child shouldn't have to wait a year to hear. He soaked it up, his cheeks hurt from smiling, he felt loved and wanted and needed in our family! It was so clear to me that he doesn't always feel this way; the price of not being the oldest, or the youngest, or the only boy, or anything significant (by his standards).

Troy, my beloved, you are so much more than significant.

He is my feeler. He feels things to the nth degree. If he's happy he's spastically happy. If he's sad he's a puddle of tears. When he's angry... well... we're working on that. Everything he feels he feels with all his strength and all his might. He is so very appropriately named Troy because the boy is SO STRONG. Even when he loves he fiercely loves.

Ben summed it up perfectly when he affirmed Troy's "life-sucking hugs."  They are literally painful at times! I predict that he will fall in love at age 12 and have his heart shattered by 16. And when, Lord willing, he does find his wife, she will never, ever know the feeling of being unloved by Troy, it simply will be an impossibility for him.

I affirmed his acute sense of justice, though it can be to a paralyzing fault at times. I love his passion for right and wrong. Even with his constant desire to be in the right -he is often in the wrong- he is SO QUICK to admit it and own up to his failures and ask for forgiveness. My prayer is this gift will be refined over time, and that he will "learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause." Isaiah 1:17 My prayer is that he'll be a loud voice for the quiet, and a pillar of strength for the weak.

He is joyful, an insanely good dancer, hilarious, and his laughter is full and contagious. He is one of the coolest kids to be around. Seriously, raise your hand if you love being around Troy?? Everyone's hands are raised!! He's the best! And as often as he drives me to my knees he lifts me up like no other kid. He rounds the corner in our house, sees me and belts out "I LOVE you Mama!" with such passion, and such grace for my shortcomings as a mother, like he knows them but doesn't give them a second thought because he is so consumed with love. Who does that?? My Troy does.

Oh that I might daily fill his tank with sincere words that build him up and point him toward the One who so beautifully and wonderfully made him and loaned him to our family.

Happiest of happy birthdays Troy Boy... I fiercely love you too. 









Comments

Sharon said…
I love this. Having him in my class last year, I was the blessed recipient of each of those emotions! You captured him well :-)
Jim said…
Tears are welling up in my eyes, you Super Mama! As I have a boy who feels INTENSELY every emotion imaginable, I know exactly how that works day to day. Thank you for such an eloquent and heartfelt expression of love for Troy. And you are right. . . We all love him too! Happy 7th birthday, Troy! Fondly, Vivian and the Turners

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments