When Did This Happen?

This morning Ben got up, took a shower, got himself completely dressed, and came downstairs. After a little while he yelled up to me that breakfast was ready. I came downstairs to find he had made scrambled eggs for all of us and a cup of coffee for me, complete with cream. As I was picking my jaw off the floor I looked around to find the "5 year old makes breakfast" disaster that was sure to be there, but the boy had totally cleaned up after himself, egg shells in the trash and everything.

He's not even six.

How can he be doing all of these things?

After gushing over him for a good amount of time I remind him not to grow up too fast. He shrugged and said, "I might have to mom." "Why might you have to, Ben?" Shrugged again, "I'm just serving."

AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I don't even know what to say.

I'm not writing this to brag or anything close to that, I just want to remember this morning. And spotlight a boy whose heart is still soft and is learning to live the way Jesus called us to live.

I promise I'll write about Halloween later. :-)

Comments

Wendy said…
Ummm... How did he make srambled eggs? Did he cook them on the stove?
sfitz said…
He did. He knows how to work the stove really well. He's been making eggs for at least a year, but this is the first time he did it without me in the kitchen. Maybe a safety violation, but he's really really careful. I like to remind myself, when he's using the stove, that it's the 4 and 5 year olds who have the responsibility to start the fires in African tribes. (The three year olds gather the sticks and firewood.)
Wendy said…
That is the 1st thing I thought of when I thought he might have done it by himself on the stove... I remeberber Lolly and you talking about how kids way younger than that are the ones starting fires and all this other crazy sounding, dangerous stuff so many other places. Still scares me to hear that Ben was so close to potential accidental burns, but you know me... worst case Wendy :)
Love you and Ben!
Candie said…
so precious. thanks for sharing the adorable story!
Unknown said…
That is so cool! I love what God is doing in his life. So true about kids his age having so many responsibilities in other countries. I remember in Uganda kids 5 and 6 starting the cooking fires and cooking for their parents who were blind while holding babies on their backs.
Julie Snell said…
Too bad he can't drive at 5... I love eggs and my stove is easy to work. I also love that he wants to serve. Hope that stays the case through the years and with all your kiddos. Way to be an example of a servant too sister...you do it every day.
Anonymous said…
unbelievable...but then again, maybe not. I've been amazed for years at how comfortable you are in the kitchen with the kids....I remember Ben standing in a chair helping several years ago. Like mom and dad, like child. Love it! Just give him another safety lesson, just for me, ok? Dad
Jessica said…
What a great story and I love that Ben is serving his family at such a young age. You are a doing a great job in your "mission field". Ben has great examples of servants in his parents. Keep up the good work.
Lolly Caruana said…
i told Hannah and Jonny about this tonight and they were amazed!!! and Hannah double-checked with me to make sure she knew how to work the stove! :) i think i'm a little more impressed that he made the coffee. :) not sure i'm ready to let the kids handle that one!!! :) anyway, thanks, Ben, for the shining example you've set for others--even when you didn't know it, my kids all the way in Indiana are being inspired by you!!! p.s. i keep reminding myself that i am called to "train my kids" and "serve my husband"...not the other way around!!! :) heehee.

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments