Isaiah Told Me

There is a general consensus among myself and my friends that we are feeling tired and busy, and tired of being busy.

We've swam, we've vacayed, we've reunioned* with family. We've gotten sandy and sticky and dirty and burnt. We've stayed up late and refused to sleep in.

We are tired.

School starts too soon. If you're a homeschooling family, or a partial one like us, then there is curriculum to purchase, lesson plans to familiarize yourself with, workspaces to organize and make functional. We have uniforms to size, totes to order, binders to fill and even some pre start-of-school memorization to tackle. And meetings! GOOD NIGHT we have meetings.  6 meetings in 10 days. Teacher meetings, parent meetings, parent-teacher meetings. AYSO for Ben, American Heritage Girls for Addie, plus Tristan meets with his mom twice a week so that's even more meetings.

Last week I had a day where I was a taxi driver. I drove to Newport Beach, Carson, San Clemente and all around Laguna Hills all day long. My friends with young kids, widened their eyes, "You mean you weren't home for nap-time?" My friends with older kids shook their heads, "Girl, you have no idea."

We are busy.

The Bible says: "but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." (Is 40:31)

Now hold up. Did you actually read that verse in it's entirety? I know you know it. It's all over the place. Songs, paintings, little glass eagle figurines, tattoos... it's right up there with John 3:16. But don't let your familiarity with it stop the Holy Spirit from penetrating your heart with it. Read it again.

"but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." 


Renewed Strength. 
Walking, running, flying

Rested. 

Strong.

Sounds heavenly, no?

It begins with waiting. Abiding. Lingering.

I'm tempted to mourn all activities of the past few months and shake my fists at all the obligations of the next few months, yet Isaiah bids me; abide in the Lord and my strength will be renewed. Linger with him and I will be strong. Wait, and I will be rested. If this isn't a cry for a daily, moment by moment, dependency on the Lord then I don't know what is. 

My prayer is that this verse will not just be another cliche we have stitched on a hand towel, but that we will be reminded to place our tired and busy selves before the Lord daily and gain new, and true, strength from him.



(*Yes, I know reunioned is not a word. But doesn't it sound so much better than reunited?) 





Comments

Anonymous said…
sweet hat;) I feel you on the business. I just got asked to a playdate by some random stay at home dad at the park!! I was like "I don't even have time to hangout with people I know! Plus I like to be random." No play dates for me thank you very much. I just got some great wisdom from my neighbor. She said she was too busy when raising her 5 boys because she was always wanting to help out. She just told be don't be too busy and the simplicity in that is beautiful! It's a balance with 2 kids I can't imagine with 5 but I'm all about doing less stuff and having more time to be still and quiet and see what happens. With that I'm off to bed. :)
Anonymous said…
busyness *

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments