The "Visiting Treasure Valley Recommendation" Post

If you find yourself planning a trip to the beautiful state of Idaho, and I hope that you do, you might want a few recommendations of places to go, food to eat, coffee to drink, etc.  Unless you want me blowing up your phone with Google Map pins, which I'm totally down to do, I thought I'd put my list here, for you to browse at your leisure, or on your (absurdly long) drive... whichever the case may be.

Things to keep in mind:
1) My breakfast recommendations are largely swayed by how amazing their biscuits and gravy are, based on a scale of "Excellent: Tastes Like Grandma's" to "NASTY: Tastes Like Milk w/Pepper In It". (Or, the dreaded "Not On Menu",  in which case I wouldn't know how they'd even call themselves a breakfast establishment, and I'd sit in a corner, fasting in protest.)

2). I've only been to Idaho (in recent history) TWICE. So, though I have opinions, I'm no local - yet.

3). It's common courtesy that if you do, indeed, try one or more of the places on this list, you must invite me. If I'm not yet living there, then you must send me a pic. It's only fair.

That being said, in chronological order...

Breakfast... the most blessed meal of the day. I'd eat breakfast out constantly if I had a billion dollars and wasn't worried about gaining 4,000 pounds. 

(Driving TO Idaho...)

390 4th Ave
Salt Lake City, UT 84103



This place is AWWWWWESOME! It's small, weird, and delicious!! The portions are shareable for the kids, and nearly everything comes with a homemade, inSANEly awesome cinnamon roll. The prices are great, especially when you think about the awesomeness that you're eating. The coffee is not great, however, but I'm willing to overlook it because everything else is rad. It's a little bit off the freeway, but worth it. If you're driving through the night from CA you'll arrive in SLC at the perfect time stop here to regain your sanity AND for the most important meal of the day. 

IN Idaho...

Big City Coffee
1416 W Grove St
Boise, ID 83702
INSANELY large portions, so definitely a "sharing is caring" meal. Excellent biscuits and gravy! Best scrambled eggs I've ever had in my life. Coffee is really, really good. The heart of the company is awesome, and they're supportive of military and law enforcement people, so that's cool. I love this place. Love it, love it, love it. 
Rembrandts
93 S Eagle Rd
Eagle, ID 83616
 Addie is drinking a ginormous chai latte and I'm about to gulp up an amazing dirty chai 
(chai + espresso = YUM)
It's a beautiful, referbished old church, which I have conflicted feelings about, honestly, and a little swanky for my hole-in-the-wall loving self, BUT, the food is delicious. The coffee is excellent.  The biscuits and gravy are great! Added bonus: it's pretty close to our new house (*Lw) so I know we'll be back again. And again. And again and again. 
*Lord willing.
Goldy’s Breakfast Bistro
Edit


108 S Capitol Blvd
Boise, ID 83702


YOU: Sarah, your obsession with B&G is gross. 

Me: Is it though?



Goldy's is quirky and old and I love it! The food is SOOOOOOOOOOO good! Fantastic biscuits and gravy! The coffee tastes like diner coffee - soooooooo... don't go there for the coffee, but if you're in downtown Boise and need an outstanding breakfast then hit that place up! 





The Fitzpatrick House
*address pending :)

We love having people over for breakfast! There's no pressure to leave at a certain time because it's getting late, cozy clothes are welcomed, and have you even tried Mark's french toast??  
 French toast, waffles, apple pancakes, above par coffee skills. Not gonna lie though, while my biscuits are excellent my gravy needs some work (sorry, Grandma).  I'm a work in progress, people! 

You're probably going to want to work off that amazing breaky someplace STAT... so take a little drive on over to:

Camel’s Back Park

1200 W Heron St
Boise, ID 83702

This is a beautiful park right by the North End of Boise. The hill is a great little climb with spectacular views of the Treasure Valley. And the playgroud is superb. 
Us, sitting at the tippity top of 
↓↓↓ hill! 



You'll probably be ready for a snack after all that playin', and Camel's Back just so happens to be conveniently located next to this little gem:



1502 N 13th St
Boise, ID 83702


It's as precious as it looks. :) It's in one of my favorite neighborhoods in Boise, Hyde Park. Great for people watching and slowing down for a bit. 

When Mark and I were there, we struck up a conversation with an older lady who'd lived there for a healthy amount of years. We sat outside next to the street and a car ZOOMED by us... She shakes her head, rolls her eyes, and says, "They're probably from California." Aaaaaaaaand they were, DOH! Be aware of your driving, CA people, license plates don't lie!! 

If you're sticking around Eagle and Meridian this park is gorgeous!! 


4000 W Hatchery Rd
Eagle, ID 83616

Sledding in the winter, waterslides in the summer, lots of trails and playgrounds and beauty all around. I think this park will become a fave for sure. 
(See the waterlide AND the sledding hill? SO fun!)

There are many, MANY, manymanymanymany other awesome things to do in the Treasure Valley, MANY. Those are just two parks that I've been to. Fishing, biking, boating, hiking, sports parks, etc...


LUNCH! 

Bodacious Pig Barbecue


I think the picture speaks for itself. Just go there. 



Best street tacos you're probably going to find in the Boise Area.  The entire menu is mouth watering. Definitely one of those places where I want one of everything. 

Time for a little afternoon pick-me-up??? Yes please! 


REALLY good coffee. Super nice people. And my van fits in the drive-thru. This is a WIN all around. 

Dinner!!! 

I actually don't have any great dinner recommendations! I'm sure there are plenty out there, but we stayed in VRBOs and typically made our own dinner, so I can't speak with confidence about any particular place that you just HAVE to try, except my own house, that place is a must. We went to the Texas Roadhouse one night, and it was aight, but nothing to write home about. So, when you go to Idaho, why don't YOU send ME your dinner picks? 


Driving FROM Idaho...




2815 E Craig Rd
North Las Vegas, NV 89030


Don't hate me, I realize this is a great American institution, but I, personally, don't love Cracker Barrel. It's a little too chainy for me. (Chainy... is that a thing? Can I make that a thing? ) I'm listing it because it's off the Vegas strip and a good place to stop if you're driving through the night from ID to CA. You'll hit it right about the time it opens, it'll fuel ya up for not much money, and make the rest of your drive bearable without needing to stop again for another meal. If chainy is your thang, then soak up the Barrel and all its chainy glory. Everyone else, fist bumps to you. Just enjoy the ease of location and price and then move along. (Gracious, I'm pretty sure I just offended 85% of the American population). 


Okay, my traveling buddies. I hope this little list helps point you in the right direction during your Idaho meanderings. We will be there, Lw, by June, maybe even before that. So please be sure to let us know when you're out for a visit!!! 


Comments

Dinner...always good at Bardenays...we go to the one in Eagle. Noisy if inside....so try for patio whenever its warm! Salmon River Brewry...great salmon. Lucky Finns...awesome seafood. You already found Bodacious Pig! Plenty down town....but we don’t travel far from Eagle๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ and the Village in Meridian has some great places too !
sfitz said…
Ohhhhhhh thank you!!! Can't wait to check those places out!!! (Now tell the truth, did you laugh at my attempts at a "recommendations post??) ;) Can't wait to live near you and make you and Tim quasi - grandparents to my kids!! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments