34%

"34% OF CHRISTIAN FAMILIES CONSIDER ADOPTING & ONLY 1 % OF CHRISTIAN FAMILIES ACTUALLY DO."

(Sarah's reasons) Why we haven't adopted:

1. I'm afraid of what our families will think, say behind my back, or say to my face. And that they'll treat our child differently.
2. Money, or the lack thereof.
3. I'm afraid of feeling isolated as a mother, or like my friends won't feel like they relate so they'll disengage even more (having "a handful" of kids has produced this to some degree already).
4. Am I just being trendy?
5. How does a different ethnicity, adopted child feel in a family full of whites, in a city, county and state full of white people? How will that play out when that child is an adult?

Why we will:

Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
I John 3:18

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed. Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless, and see that they get justice.
Proverbs 31:8-9

Religion that God our Father Accepts as pure and faultless is this:
to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27

And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.
Matthew 18:5

God sets the lonely in families.
Psalm 68:6

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat,
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink,
I was a stranger and you invited me in, .....
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth,
whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me'.
Matthew 25:35,40

You are the helper of the fatherless. LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more.
Psalms 10:14,17-18

Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows.
Isaiah 1:17

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very raw thoughts and feeling friend! We've talked about adoption too and I think that if God puts that on you and your husbands heart that is the 1. reason to do it. All the other stuff will fall into place. Like recently God has put it on my mind to pray for our 3rd child...um wait I'm still sickly pregnant with our 2nd, What??? But to ignore his voice would be wrong and completely defy what I am committed to.
Money is a real thing to consider especially in adoption but I know people that have raised money to adopt their kids. And there are a lot of white kids that need to be adopted too. :) unless the HS has been specific on an ethnicity other then caucasian.
5 kids is a lot of kid happening but maybe that's the amount of kids you're suppose to have! I'll be praying for you.
Julie said…
When you think about adoption do you only see your fam adopting from a different country? Kirk and I have thought about adopting, but I agree that there are a lot of things to consider and pray about as it is such an important decision. I would love to chat with you about it.
sfitz said…
Thanks for your prayers friends!

I always thought it'd be international, but more recently Mark and both have been more and more open to domestic. I think, bottom line, we are open and willing to see what God has for us. Kind of exciting!
Laura said…
Obviously I am very pro adoption!!! The reason to adopt I believe really needs to remain God motivated. When you respond to the prompting (if prompted) then the rest truly does fall into place. We are a living testimony of that.
Yes, adoption is expensive. But again, if you are following God's prompting, then you absolutely will be blessed by the whole process. Never in my wildest dream would I have ever thought that we could afford it...and we have 3 beautiful children that God has graciously allowed us to parent.

Definitely exciting times!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments