Chalk One Up for the Parents!

I feel like my mom and dad do a pretty good job of keeping their parental peanut gallery comments to a minimum. Though I'm sure they've left my house on more than one occasion with bleeding tongues from biting them so hard, they don't really offer advice unless I've asked for it, and believe you me - I have asked for it plenty of times. This is a quality I really appreciate about my parents because I know it's probably a difficult discipline. I mean, who doesn't like to put their two cents in when it comes to parenting advice? I know I do! (Sorry about that friends). So for the most part, unless someone is in grave danger, if they think I'm doing something wrong they just let me do it and figure I'll figure it out sooner or later, just like they did, and they don't talk about it with me. How many other people they talk to about it miiiiiight be another story, but I'm ok with that.

This is not to say I don't want their advice, on the contrary I love it and ask for their thoughts frequently. They are a great resource and have really novel ideas. Like THIS one; did you know that back in the day parents put their kids in pack-n-plays not to sleep but to actually PLAY? Oh yes they did! They were called Play-Pens back then, and they didn't think it was a mini-jail or that it would inhibit exploration or stunt growth or cuff curiosity or anything! In fact, according to my dad, it saved my life! My mom would put me in one, with some toys of course, to keep my dear brother from killing me (with love and affection I'm sure). What a fantastic idea!

Baby boy Troy is one fast cookie and the kid puts EVERYTHING in his mouth. Ben and Addison were not this way. I think they did the obligatory mouthing thing for a brief period, but nothing like dear Tman. It may have something to do with the fact that he has twice the amount of goodies sprinkled along the ground for his snacking delight. So, thanks to his siblings and my lack in vacuuming skills, he's a lot like a puppy. And as cute as that sounds I pretty much have to save his life on a daily basis, which is not so cute and has involved puking more than once. And we all know how I feel about puking.

So today, after pulling him off of the African Violet for the 96th time I had the brilliant idea to go a little old school and throw him in the pack-n-play.



This worked beautifully for about 7.5 minutes which just the amount of time I needed to quickly straighten up my bedroom and put away 18 piles of laundry.

So thanks, mom and dad, for not holding that one in. You played a part in getting Troy through one more day of life without me having to call the paramedics, and for that I thank you.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Better safe than sorry! You can't possibly watch him every minute...I know I couldn't -- so the play-pen was a safer place for you when I couldn't take you to the garage with me & bring back a load of clothes from the dryer. And look how creative and smart YOU turned out to be :) Mom
Wendy said…
Not only that... their advise ended up giving us a super cute picture of a "caged" Tman... I love it!
Anonymous said…
Oh i KNOW. I use the P & P a LOT simply to keep the baby from getting into things. I had never used it as a play pen before baby #3 and I have no idea why?!! Its been VERY helpful in making dinner. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments