Job Title

Sitting at a table of strangers at a wedding the inevitable "What do you do" question went around. Lot's of really interesting jobs were mentioned and then it was my turn. A sweet gal, who just finished telling me about her fancy job, asked me, "So what do YOU do." I kind of laughed and said, "I'm a mom". Her husband hollered out, "Oh, CRUISING!" which I took to mean he figured my days were spent relaxing with a tasty, umbrella adorned beverage in my hand. I chuckled. They didn't have any kids, so a large amount of grace was shown.

I've been getting this question a lot, maybe I'm meeting lots of new people which is awesome, and usually I get a similar reaction, and I'm here to say I'm fine with it. You know why? Because some people know from the time they are very young that they want to be a doctor when they grow up, and they grow up to be a paper pusher in a cubical. Some people say they want to be a teacher and they get very close to becoming one but they end up in an economic pit of despair and are sidelined for years. Some people want to become a lawyer so they work their tail off and actually pass the bar and marry late and have kids even later and then never get to see said kids because of crazy long work hours that never seem to taper. But me? I've always, always, always, wanted to get married and have kids. Since I was little that's been my dream job. And I get to do it, to the fullest extent of my job description, every single day.

Please don't misinterpret, this is not another "Stay at home moms work too!" blog. I think that's been pretty well established. I just want to offer that it's possible for "Mom" to be someone's dream job. It wasn't like I failed out of college and had nothing better to do. I didn't set out to be something else and then settled. When it was time to declare a major I simply couldn't find the "Domestic Engineering" option.

Maybe someday I'll add on another job title. How does "Sarah, Trader Joe's Aficionado" sound? In the meantime, maybe I'll whip up a name badge that reads, "Mom, 2004-forever."

Comments

Jessica said…
Mediator, nurse, educator, life coach, house keeper, accountant, administrator, therapist, photographer, chef, time management advisor, problem solver, morale booster...I could go on but my head literally hurts trying to think of all the things we accomplish as moms. Oh and...you grew 4 human beings inside of you! Isn't that crazy to think about? 4 beating hearts and thinking minds and 4 sets of busy hands and feet. And you know what? Perhaps one of those sets of hands will become a doctor or a writer or missionary or stylist or something really interesting like that. But I'm sure you will be so proud when one of your little girls decides and dreams to be a mom! A great one just like her own.
Wendy said…
Sarah... I only have 1 tiny human and I realize how much of a JOB it is to be a mom... but instead of cash you get paid with hugs, kisses, giggles, screams, bumps, bruises, dirty diapers and even throw up from time to time. It reminds me of the show Up All Night that just came on this season, Christina Applegates character is like me, a mom but also works full time and her husband, Will Arnette's character stays home full time with their baby, Amy. When she is leaving in the morning to go to work she says how tired she is because of how hard it is to work all day, AND be a mother... and Will Arnette's character says, "oh yeah, because it is easy to raise a human..." This is so true. My job at work is SOOOO easy compared to caring for Karis when I come home at night and on the weekends. My job can feel like a vacation compared to caring for Karis. So I say, go for it, make yourself a badge!
sfitz said…
Thanks for the love friends!! Both of you are big Fitz Fans and I am incredibly blessed by both of you AMAZING mamas!!!

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me