See Ya'll April 8, 2012

It's that time of year again... the time of year when I have to fight off every instinct I have to retreat back into my little Christian bubble and not resurface until Easter. I hate Halloween. I made a valiant effort last year to like it, and make it somehow redeemable, but that didn't go so well. It's not just the fact that it's a day dedicated to celebrating pretty much everything I live my life fighting against. It's that it marks the day that begins a season which tends to brings out the worst in my children. The fuss about what to wear, all the comparisons over who got how much candy, the boasting, the jealousy, the insatiable need for MORE. It begins today, October 31st, then carries over all the way to December 25th. It's an attitude that takes over my children where all they can think about is when the next time they're getting something is. Right after Christmas is Ben's birthday, and by "right after" I mean the next day. MORE. 30 days later is Addison's birthday. MORE. Then Mia's. MORE. MORE. MORE.

I want to hide and come back out on Easter, when, despite the best efforts of marketing geniuses in candy and plastic companies everywhere, HOPE is the overwhelming attitude. There's an answer to all of the yuck, all of the MORE. There's a God who sees all of the disgustingness and realizes we just can't do it on our own and desperately wants to draw us close to Him again but knows there has to be a sacrifice, an atonement, a perfect one. So there's a death, and a tomb. But He doesn't stay dead! And not only does He not stay dead, He ascends into Heaven! The hope of Heaven!!! I LOVE EASTER!

There is a lot I do to control this situation with my kids. Most importantly I pray, and prepare for battle. The next five months are a fight for me to live out (it's easy for me to simply believe) that Jesus Christ is risen and victorious. The junk of this world, the wedges Satan tries to drive into our lives with his cunning lies, have no power over the power of the risen Christ! How does that play out when I think about the season of MORE? I'm so thankful for a God who loved so much, that while we were still sinners Christ died for us! How can I bring that attitude into this doomsday feeling I have? How radically different will that make my life? I'm not sure... I'll let you know in five months.

Comments

The Brooner's said…
I hope that you can enjoy the seasons ahead. I look forward to this time of year, lots of time with family, cozy days inside, seeing God's creation change, a rememberance to be Thankful for everything we have, celebrating Jesus' birth...I do have fun with Halloween, but I have always liked it. Maybe celebrate Autumn and the seasons instead, make your own celebration...One thing that our pastor said a couple weeks ago was there are a lot of evil and disgusting things happening on earth, but this earth is also God's creation and he wants us to enjoy the beauty he has made. Totally changed my perspective. But I agree, we all could do great with a lot less stuff, I am one for that and Halloween, Christmas and birthdays always bring on more stuff. I hate to see my children wanting so much when they already have way too much.
Julie Snell said…
I am so bummed reading this friend. I grew up loving halloween and still kinda love it. So fun to get dressed up or to just stay home and pass out candy to the little munchkins. Maybe things were different, but when I grew up celebrating halloween i do not remember it being about evil and all that jazz...I just remember being so excited to dress up and walk around my neighborhood getting to stay up later than normal. Hang in there with the kiddos through the getting season ;) Remember that you have Thanksgiving in between to focus on. And maybe for Christmas you can do something like talking to them about only getting one gift each (or a few) and then taking them to the store to buy a gift for Toys for Tots or something. Good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me