Poop Talk

"I feel weighted down by the ugly of this world" my exact quote to a friend yesterday. I am tempted beyond belief to wallow in this. So today I will write about poop. Because nothing is funnier when you're feeling crappy than to talk about, well, crap.

Tristan is 5 months old and poops on the toilet about 94.4% of the time. He's done this for over two months now. It's really quite nice as I hardly change a dirty diaper. When we were in Big Bear it was great because we had to keep all the trash and take it to the "designated dumpsters" in town, and stinky diapers would've really been a bummer to hang onto for a week. Just the other day his babysitter asked if he ever poops because she'd never changed a dirty diaper, pretty cool eh?

 I didn't read a book or listen to a podcast or hear of some hippie clan doing this and set out to potty train my 3 month old. It just kind of happened. I wasn't even going to mention it on a blog because it's really not that important, but, like I said, today just needed some mindless chatter to lighted the load. Seemed fitting to talk about how Tristan does just that. (Get it, lighten the load??)

Just about anyone can tell when a baby is pooping. And "most" kids are pretty regular in their movements. Pretty early on I noticed Tristan was a morning guy (but not always). When he was three months old I'd be holding him and he'd tighten up, or I'd see him in the swing making funny faces, and say, "Oh he's pooping". Then it dawned on me one day that if I knew it was happening why not save myself a diaper and hold him on the toilet. So that's what I did, and I nearly fell over in shock when it worked.

If I put him on and he doesn't have to go he gets really fidgety and tries to wiggle out of my hands. But if I sit him down (always holding him, obviously) and he does have to go he'll sit still and look at his toes. It takes about as much time as it takes to change a diaper so it's not a time saving thing. I like that it saves diapers, it saves my nose from the incredible stink his little body can produce, and it saves his bum from rashes and just being uncomfortable.

If he doesn't go, I don't fuss about it. If he stops doing this, I won't be upset. If this leads to him being potty trained at a super early age I will do the craziest happy dance ever because in just 5 more months I'll have a whole other set of buns to wipe.

So there you go, a nice little distraction from the ugly, no? You're welcome.


Comments

Kristina Franklin said…
Shut up. Want to come and teach me how to potty train Violet? haha! Honestly, though, glad that you have something positive in your life. Tons of prayers are being said in this house of mine... you, yours and your extended "yours" are on the top of my mind.
Anonymous said…
UM ... are you kidding me?! Oh my goodness. i love how you make it seem SOOOO easy--he just plops it in the potty, no big deal. that is a BIG deal. BRAVO *BEST MOM EVER*! :) :) love you.

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me