Norah's Story

Can I just start by saying IT'S A GIRL!!!!!! Whaaaaaaaaaaat??!?!?!?! I did NOT see that coming! Well, actually I did, for about 7 months, then BAM months 8 and 9 rolled around and I was so certain it was a boy I brought only boy clothes to the hospital. My basketball stomach screamed "It's a boy!" and EVERYONE told me it was going to be a boy; the old ladies at Trader Joe's, the nurses who saw me during my false labor, the ladies at the nail place, my doctor even guessed boy. (Oh wait, she also guessed I'd be two weeks early...) So it was beyond exciting when the baby came out and, sure enough, our girl was born. 
I woke up early that Saturday morning, two days past my due date, with the same ol' pains I'd been having for weeks. Except they weren't the same. They were intense every time, and took my breath away. During a contraction I was convinced I needed to be at the hospital, but as soon as it was over I was totally fine and figured it was nothing. I motioned for Mark to call his parents during one contraction, and as soon as it was over told him to call them back and tell them not to come. We called my parents "just in case" and offered to make them breakfast should this be another false alarm. It was hard for me to know what to do, my contractions were really strong, but 16-18 minutes apart. We went to the hospital anyway and by the time we got there (8 minutes away) my contractions were roughly every 3 minutes. It was the REAL DEAL.

For the record, this is NOT labor.
(June 22, aka "false labor day")

This is labor.


Not labor.


Labor.
We got to the hospital at 6:00 and she (she!!) was born at 8:01! Yes, I got an epidural. I know, I know, it doesn't add up. I'm all "no microwaves" this, and "drink raw milk" that, but to get an epidural or not is not the hippie hill I'm going to die on, you know? I got my shot and I was a happy camper. Done and done.
Norah Lynn Fitzpatrick, 8lbs 3oz
I love the name Norah. I love the way it sounds, calm and soft, like a sweetly whispered song. And I love what it means, woman of honor and compassion, sunshine, ray of light. My goodness that's a nice meaning! Lynn is just the perfect middle name because it's my mom's middle name (and also my brother's- so I let him think she's partly named after him).

 Those cheeks! 
(and you're thinking, "that hair!" but all our kids had heads full of hair at birth, 
a bald baby would've been a shocker.)
                         

Ben was the first to arrive on the scene, as I knew he would be. 
He is smitten. 


The girls were ecstatic over their sister! 
Addison was especially pleased as she noted it "evened out the teams". 

 Gabe was super cute meeting Norah,
but was not a fan of her crying.
 He's gotten over that now and is so curious and sweet around her. 

Ah Troy, seriously, who can resist your tenderness and charm?? 
Norah is one lucky little sister. 

We came home the next day to a very quiet house thanks to my awesome parents and in-laws taking the older four. It was just Mark, Gabe, me and Norah for the first 36 hours, then the girls came home, and a day later the boys came home. It was soooooooo nice to be able to ease back into life like that! 

Thursday, July 4th, was my moment. The moment when it all hit me. It was the first time all 6 kids were in the car together at the same time. We were all singing "You are the Light" (by Gungor) at the top of our lungs, hands raised and dancing in our seats and there I was, literally wiping away tears because I could not believe that God would choose me - such a mess of a mom a lot of days - to give yet another gift to. My heart was bursting with love and gratitude to my Giver of Good and Perfect Gifts. I wanted to roll down the windows and yell to the cars passing by, "Do you know who I have in here?? Can you see these six amazing treasures I get to care for??" We saw fireworks that night and I couldn't stop staring at each of their faces. 

You Ben, you are more fascinating than a firework.

Addison, you are more dazzling.

Troy, you are more enthralling. 

Mia, more spectacular.

Gabe, more delightful.

and Norah, my sweet, beautiful, surprising, baby girl... you are indescribably more breathtaking than a firework.

I am so in love.

Comments

Heather said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CONGRATULATIONS!! What a beautiful blessing from the Lord! You're in my thoughts and prayers, Sarah.

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me