Wishful Thinking

Tonight I'm going to write about something that is heavy on my mind. Something that I have to face, to deal with, to devote time to multiple times a week.

Packed lunches.

This is what Ben's lunch looks like almost everyday he goes to school, which is only three days a week. I can only imagine what it would look like if he went five days.



I've even made a complete lunch mainly consisting of these



and these.

How those even got into my house is beyond me. (Not that far beyond, though).

There are so many things wrong with Ben's lunches, the plastic baggies for one... the lack of protein, the quantity of processed foods, blaach.

I want his lunches (and mine for that matter) to look like this:

or this:



I promise I will not re-purchase any of those nasty things. Pinky promise.

**The delicious looking lunches pictured up there are from a fabulous little website called Weelicious. They have a fan page on FB and they post a picture of their packed lunch for the day, everyday. Not only does it heap loads of guilt on my already processed packed - packed lunch, but it gives me pretty ideas of what I should/in my dreams/will pack for Ben. Starting tomorrow.

Comments

Hippo Brigade said…
oh friend. I hear ya, I feel like my teacher is judging my lunch packing abilities. Plus there is only a small assortment of things that Berlyn will actually eat, and those are mainly dairy products. Why, dairy? I donno. But girlfriend loves the lactose. So her lunch is all, milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese and then I throw some crackers for good measure (I don't really put that many dairy products in her lunch, that would be crazy. And just imagine the gas she'd have!) There are some really cute reusable lunch baggies out there, http://www.etsy.com/shop/bellsandunicorns?ref=seller_info
Oh, and goldfish crackers now come with naturally derived colors, so you don't have to worry about giving your kiddos the chemical colors.
Wendy said…
You should talk to Lolly if you have not already. I watched her pack the C kid's lunches, and I wanted her to pack me one too! :)
Julie Snell said…
If Ben is anything like I was, it won't matter what you pack in his lunch because he will trade it for something "better" :)
Judy Prince said…
I've seen Ben eat (pick at) beautifully prepared, healthy lunches/dinners at your house & mine.... You can lead a horse (or Ben) to water (or pack him a lovely, full-of-goodness lunch), but you can't make him drink (or eat). It doesn't matter what good for him things you put in his lunch, if he doesn't like it or want it...he ain't gonna eat it.
Lauren said…
I think you posted this just so I would know i'm not alone! Audrey's been living off of gold fish and TJ's cereal bars the last few days. It's some of the only things she will eat. Oh, that and anything with tons of sugar--like wedding cake.
My cousin got married this weekend and every time we walked by the table with the sliced wedding cake she would lunge at it saying, "bite, bite!"
Your mom is right--you can put all kinds of healthy, delicious food in front of them, but if they're not interested, they won't eat it. I'm loosing my mind trying to figure out what she WILL eat!
I guess I'll have to rethink my menu planning:)
Please blog about your wonderful ideas!
Amy said…
LOL! I like what your Mom said! ;) Hope all are doing well!
Kelly said…
I HEAR you! It's so hard to come up with varied, healthy lunches each day. Yes, how did those nasty little gold fishies creep into our homes?? :)
Ara said…
If you want you may also try a stainless steel tiffin container so that you can also divide your meals/snack as many as you like. And the stainless steel container from Happy Tiffin can help you out in making a stunning pack lunches. =)Check the details here: www.happytiffin.com

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments