It's Hippie Time!

I'm on a quest to find a new snack addiction for my kids to take the place of TJ's breakfast bars. I stopped buying them nearly a month ago, but not a day goes by that at least one of my kids doesn't ask for them. They're not entirely bad, so it was hard for me to completely cut them off, but it had to be done. Two main reasons for not buying them anymore...
1. There are only 6 in a box, my kids were eating their rationed amount of 1 a day, so we were going through about 5 boxes a week.
2. They were filling up on packaged, processed stuff rather than the real deal. I kind of like the idea that if it doesn't have an expiration date then we probably shouldn't be eating it.

A couple of weeks ago I made these breakfast bars in hopes of offering them a yummy alternative. I liked them, Mia and Mark liked them, my mother-in-law liked them. The others? Not so much. I think the strawberries tasted too real for their liking. I will make them again though, and tweak the recipe a bit, because I think the kids will like them too, now that it's been almost a month since they've had their TJ's bars.

Tonight I made blueberry muffins and they were a HIT! Yay! I am totally willing to make these once a week if they'll eat them like they did the bars. These are winners in my book because A) I had all the ingredients in my kitchen already. B). No flour, no white sugar. C) I made them in the tiny muffin tins so they baked faster and made more, and who can resist tiny muffins?

Yes, I added just a touch of brown sugar to the tops, but only a touch! I think I will try making them with strawberries next time just to see how they turn out.
Try them out and see what you think...

Blueberry Muffins, From Organic & Thrifty (I love that website name!)

2.5 cups of almond meal, almond flour, or hazelnut flour (can be made by grinding crispy nuts in a coffee grinder)
3 large eggs
1/4 cup of honey
1/2 tsp. of baking powder
1/2 tsp. of sea salt
1 Tbs. of vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Prepare muffin tins with liners or lightly grease with oil or butter. Mix all ingredients until smooth.
Fold in the blueberries.
Bake for 30-40 minutes.

Tomorrow I will make my own chicken stock/broth, Wednesday we pick up our fruit/veggie basket from our new CSA group, and Thursday I will stop shaving my legs and pitters. Hooray for hippiness!

Comments

sfitz said…
PS. I only had two eggs and they still turned out fine. Maybe I'll use three next time and they'll blow me away!
My kids love blueberry muffins! I am going to try this recipe this week. Thanks hippie!
Anonymous said…
Those look delicious! If you haven't already made the recipe for the cookies I put on your fb you really should try them you will be stunned by how good they turn out and they're good for you.
Lisa said…
I add a 1/4 to a 1/2 a cup of canned organic pumpkin to my blueberry muffins, banana bread, and french toast. It adds loads of Vitamin A & Iron and you can't really taste it. It gives the baked goods a hint of fall. :)
Carrie P said…
I made them this morning and cooked them at 350 instead so it would go faster...kids and Jason loved them!
Candie said…
those look super yummy! thanks for posting the pic and recipe :)

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me