Water

I've been thinking about water since my pastor preached on Good Friday about the significance of the water seen with the blood coming out of the pierced side of Jesus. The bible is full of water references, and it's common knowledge that we can't live without it.

And yet some people do.

And by some, I mean nearly 1 billion.

My pastor mentioned Japan and their loss of water and how people all over the world are shipping cases and pallets and flats and cargo planes full of bottled water.



It is devastating and unfathomable to say the least.

But it's not unique.

There are people in this world, under our watch as Christians, who have lived without water- real, drinkable, clean water- for years. Decades with no water.

Yes, they have liquid they drink. They might have a community spigot, sometimes in their town, most of the time not. They might have a creek, or a small body of water, which is also the watering/bathing hole for all of the local people and local animals, which is sometimes 3 hours away, which also breeds misquotes, which breeds malaria - and so much more.

And I don't want to make light of Japan and the devastation there, but I can't help think that perhaps people have forgotten about places like sub-Saharan Africa,



or Southeast Asia,



or Latin America,



who all go without suitable drinking/cooking/bathing water every day, every month, every year.

And no big cargo planes are flying in with flats of bottled water.

But there are groups working there, like Charity Water, and people dedicating their lives to working with the people to come up with real solutions. People like my sister-in-law's parents, Rick and Sherry, who are in Uganda working with an organization, Water For All, that has a real plan and is implementing it one water well at a time. And a town that used to be named "Thirsty" is now renamed "The Place Where Water Flows"!!

Oh Sarah, I thought you were on the adoption soap box and now you're going all "Water for all!!!" on us? Yep. I am. Because I just feel like there is so much more to this life than what we give, than what I give. So I'm trying to work it all out, asking the Lord what I'm supposed to do with this knowledge. I know one thing He's telling me - Don't forget.



Don't forget.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'll never forget the lack of water there was in the locations I stayed in Uganda. It was insane to see people walking miles a few times a day just for water that they then boiled and added ash to. Seeing it first hand was shocking. I never take it for granite, I still remind myself what a treat a warm shower is or a glass of water at my finger tips. Thanks for reminding me that I need to do something to help, donate etc. It's one thing to remember or know that people are suffering but another to actually do something about it.
Carrie P said…
I love your heart, Sarah.
Heather Russell said…
Sarah...thanks for introducing me to Katie and Amazima because of your blog. I know I will never be the same again and now am looking/praying for my something too. I hear you.
Amy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me