Shattering Lies

I almost didn't go to church this weekend because I didn't feel pretty. There are so many things wrong with that statement I don't even know where to begin! Mark had to be there early so he was already gone, the kids were fed, dressed and ready to go, and there I was in the bathroom washing and plucking and brushing and powdering and painting my face all so that ... so that what? I could be more acceptable to God? So that I could apply the sermon more accurately or worship more beautifully? No. What it was, really, was me trying to make it look like I hadn't spent the day deep cleaning bedrooms and folding 6 loads of laundry. It was me thinking about what I wore the previous week to make sure I didn't wear it again. And there I was, making my family late, and contemplating not even going because I didn't feel pretty.

I recognized the sin of vanity right away and marched myself to church, but I'm still so bothered that my solution to my "problem" was to just not go to church at all. It sounds so ridiculous now! I started praying about it this afternoon and the Holy Spirit used that time to open my eyes to the many tactics, or lies, the Enemy will use to keep us from God's house. Why on earth would he want me to go and fellowship with other believers? Do I really think he just stands aside and plugs his ears while we hear the Word of God read aloud, empowering us? Of course not! I believe with all my heart that he does whatever he can to make me want to stay home every time there is a church service, or a Bible study, or any kind of gathering that elevates the name of Jesus Christ.

I know this because it is so much easier to stay home.

My kids will probably wind up sick, and I'll probably have to leave early to get the screaming Mia. I've gone to church my whole life, missing one Sunday is not going to hurt me. And going to church doesn't make or break salvation anyway. If believers are The Church all I really need to do is hang out with my Christian friends and it'll be like I've gone to church, right? Bottom line is I just don't feel like going, and no one will notice I'm not there, it's just not that big of a deal. Besides, I can watch it online.

Lies, all lies.

It's not about going to church, or meeting in a building, or doing what I'm "supposed to". It's about setting apart some time (and really, compared to the early churches, it's not that much time) each week to glean from the shepherding of a pastor who is gifted in teaching the truth of the Bible. It's about seeing my friends so we can talk about the works of Christ and how our lives are different because of it. It's about falling in love with my Savior, so much so that I would do anything, even show up with no makeup on wearing the same thing I wore last week >gasp!<, just to learn more about Him.

And the Enemy loves to distract my focus on Jesus by turning my thoughts ever back to me, and what I feel like.

Have we not be over this before? Senza Cristo, niente.

Without Christ, nothing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me