Ranting... Feel free to skip this one

What is UP with wheat field pictures???? Good grief, they are everywhere. People get engaged, BAM! Let's lay in a wheat field and snap some shots. People get married, WHAM! What's more romantic than frolicking in some dry brush? Album cover needed for your break out solo career? Nothing says, "I play really good music" like a portrait taken in tall grass and shrubbery. (Throw in some feathers and you're sure to have a hit.) Oh I know, (last one I promise), let's put a couch in the middle of the wheat field and get the whole family to pose like this is totally normal because doesn't EVERY family spend their sweet time lounging around in a big ol' sea of golden grain?

***I'm sorry, so so sorry, if you and/or your family have taken such pictures, and/or been the photographer of such. I truly am not trying to make you feel lousy, and I still want you to send me your Christmas cards, I just am ready for the next great photo backdrop.***

I think the reason why I'm not a huge fan is because for me, I always want a picture to capture a moment that I want to remember for the rest of my life, and a wheat field just doesn't do that for me. That's not my life... all wildflowers and sunsets. Children wearing not matching yet expertly coordinated outfits, playing sweetly together while mom and dad make-out in the back ground. It makes for a great picture no doubt, and I ooooo and ahhh over them right along with everyone else, but it's not my reality, and it's not a memory maker location.

(Have I been "de-friended" by anyone yet?)

If I could have my ideal family photo shoot these are the shots I'd get:

1. Dinner time. In all it's mess and glory that is something I want to remember forever. Because almost every night of the week we sit around and eat whatever I've scrounged up (unless Mark cooked- then it's AWESOME) and we eat and play question games and Mark picks a Biblical topic to talk about and we are together, and I love it.

2. When Mark get's home from work. If there is a way to capture that moment I would blow it up and make it a mural because the smiles don't get much bigger than that on the faces of everyone in our family. The kids cheer for him and tackle him with hugs. I'm usually in the kitchen but I try to stop and get into the madness too. It's another moment when we are all together, and I love it.

3. Saturday movie day. Everyone is so relaxed and lazy and we drink french press coffee and the kids watch gobs of PBS Kids and we all just breathe a little slower and we're all together, and I love it.

Maybe the "Kitchen Table" will be the next big photo craze. If so I'm totally in! If not, then I will probably sit this one out a little longer and stick to my good ol' iPhone + Instagram = I'm-an-awesome-photographer- pictures.

***Again, I am SO sorry if you're feelings were hurt in the making of this post! But really, I can't be the only one who is a little wheat-fielded out, am I right? Yikes, I'm having bloggers remorse and I haven't even pressed publish yet...***

Comments

Momma Gomez said…
Thank you Sarah for articulating the very critic I have been longing to give!
Vivian said…
Hilarious!!! I always feel a bit guilty taking posed pictures in beautiful places, because truly the most beautiful places are the ones you described in your own home! :) Praying for you and the entire Fitz Fam!

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments