Memories

POLISHING MEMORIES

I have no time to sweep the floor.
The piano collects dust like never before.
The wastebaskets are full; there are marks on the wall.
The telephone’s ringing - - - can’t take any calls.

I’m sitting here rocking my tiny new son.
Closing my eyes to the days work not done.
I know from experience the future becomes past.
These moments are treasures; I want them to last.

Long after he’s grown I’ll sit in this chair
and feel the soft touch of his baby fine hair.
I’ll rock by this window till the first star appears,
polishing the memories of my childbearing years.

~Patricia W. Hiscock

This poem has been framed and sitting on my parent's piano for, I dunno, 15 years at least. There was a few years there, believe it or not, that I dabbled in the fine art of piano playing. I think I realized, however, that piano playing wasn't for me when I'd play in recitals not to show off what I had learned but for the creme puffs my teacher served afterwards. It wasn't that I didn't like playing, I just didn't like practicing. My parents put forth a valiant effort though, making me practice everyday for 30 minutes. It's safe to say I spent many an hour staring at this poem, reading it over and over and eventually memorizing it. I thought it was a nice poem. I like poems that rhyme, so this worked for me. Little did I know how these words would take on a profoundly stronger meaning to me years down the road.

Ben doesn't really sit in my lap any more. In fact, tonight as we pulled books out to read before bed he patted the seat beside him and said "you sit here, mommy." Notice I said beside him. I'm already treasuring the moments with him. And if you know me at all you'll know that I am not one to pick dusting over sitting with my son. And I'm thankful for that, I really am. My house tends to have a bit of clutter here and there, it takes me awhile to finish any project I start and, truth be told, I can't remember the last time I swept. What I think happened as I sat on that bench as an 8 year old, day dreaming about being a mommy instead of running my scales, is this poem wasn't only pressed into my memory but folded into my heart. I remember rocking Ben when he was an infant and the words of this poem would wash over me and I'd close my eyes, breathe in the sent of his newborn hair, and tell myself I'll pick up the house in a couple of minutes, or a couple of years.

There are many, many times when I wish I would be a little more proactive in the house keeping department of life. I wish I was a bit more self motivated and that I didn't need another person to hold my hand and cheer for me so I'll finish a project. But then I think about all the time, real time, I've spent with Ben, just sitting with him. Talking about what he dreamed about the night before or thinking about what shirt he'd like to wear. I think about times like yesterday when Ali and I were cleaning out the play room in order to turn it into Addie's room (yes, she's nearly three months old and yes, we're just now doing her room) when Ben jumped on my back and wanted to play horse and cowboy and instead of brushing him off and telling him to wait just a minute, I gave him a cowboy hat and pranced around that room until we both fell on the floor laughing. I can always clean the playroom, but how much longer will Ben want to play horse and cowboy with me? How much longer will Ben want to play with me at all?

So I'm thankful for this poem. Maybe I'll frame it and put it where Addie can read it over and over. And maybe she'll think of it as she sits holding a little baby of her own someday and maybe she'll think about sitting just a little bit longer.

Thank you for this memory, mom.

Comments

Amy said…
Thanks Sarah...for your comment! :) I appreciate it. And by the way...your 'memories' is great to read! :)
Love YOU!
amy
Anonymous said…
I had a moment to check my email and decided to wonder off into your blog. What you said about Ben growing up and you not finding time to clean the house brought tears to my eyes. Every time Kian is awake I can't find a single minute to anything else but to watch him slowly grow, and I am thankful for that. Watching him grow makes me sad and happy all in the same. Being a mommy is the best thing in the world! We miss you guys and we want to see you soon!- Lisa
Keri said…
The minute I started reading, I though, "That is the poem Judy sent me when I was dealing with corporate America vs. staying home." It is so dear to me as well, I remember it and exactly who sent it to me and it is forever impressed upon my heart. As we all know, I chose to stay home.
Anonymous said…
My mother had sent this poem to me shortly after my little boy was born. He is now 16 mos. old. I also have a daughter who is 12yrs. old. Originally, as you did, I had also seen this poem as a child in my parent's home.

I was just typing a copy of this up to send to a friend who's just had a baby boy. When I thought of looking up Patricia Hiscock online. I had never been able to find that poem online before. Your post came up. It made me cry.

No matter how much time we spend with them, it goes by so fast, and we will always wish we could go back. That poem is oh so true.
Sarah Hiscock said…
Hi. I just want you to know that this poem was written by my grandmother about my youngest uncle when he was born, and it absolutely warms my heart (as well as hers! I linked her to this post of yours, I hope you don't mind!) that it has touched so many people. It's one of my favorites--we have it framed in calligraphy at my house. Honestly, this made my day.

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments