Flu Shmu

I'm tired of all this flu talk. It's hyped, it's drawn out, it's built up it's overdone, it's everywhere, it's disgusting. People are marketing their stuff now with little stickers that say things like, "HELPS PREVENT FLU" or "BUILDS IMMUNE SYSTEM TO FIGHT OFF FLU". It's marketing at it's sickest, no pun intended. Blah! I'm so over it! Am I going to get the flu shot? No. Do I know why? No. I really don't. For every 100 doctors that insist I must there are 100 doctors that insist I mustn't. There are articles and emails and YouTube clips and News clips and flyers and mailers and call-waiting messages... There is too much information for me to make an informative decision!! I've asked friends, doctors, Facebook, THE LORD, and I still have no idea what to do. Shot or no shot?... that is the question. I'm leaning towards no shot. Why? Because I hate shots. That's the best reason I can give. Because if I say, "I don't trust the government enough to take a vaccine I don't know anything about." then I'm a skeptic. If I say it's because I wonder who is behind the ONE company that is paying for this vaccine, then I'm a conspiracy theorist. If I won't take it because I think, and I'm going to try and say this with much respect and compassion, that those who have died from N1H1 also had pre-existing issues then I'm justifying death. If I decline the shots because I've never gotten a flu shot and think why should I start now? then I'm ignorant. So I really have no good answer for why I'm not going to. And I'm sorry if that is outrageous to you. I am an outrageous person I guess. I let my kids play in mud pits on a regular basis and I don't find out the sex of my babies before they're born, so yes, I do some outrageous things. Do I think I won't get it? No, I'm not stupid, I realize I have just as good a chance as anyone else of getting either one of the flu's. Do I think I will die if I do catch the swine flu? My chances are higher of dying in a car crash today on my way to pick up Ben from school, but you don't see me staying out of the car. If all the people who are so adamant about getting the vaccine would be as adamant about not smoking or eating healthy or getting mammograms then maaaaaaaaybe I'd be a little more inclined to support this movement. But that's that friends. Let the madness end people!

**Not trying to stir up people or anything. Just saying what I'm thinking because that's why I have a blog. I might change my mind tomorrow on this topic and I reserve the right to do so. :-)

Comments

Noblekain said…
Amen!

(I didn't get a flu shot either, and the US Dept. of Health can bite me.)
Anonymous said…
love the blog my dear daughter; it is tough. are you talking about the regular flu shot or the h1n1, or both? dad
Synaura said…
Once swine flu virus hits your body it could be fatal but it can be prevented. We must boost our immune system in order to avoid such illness. Proper diet, regular exercise and taking food supplement are the easiest ways to combat viruses.
The Brooner's said…
I hope my email asking what you are doing didn't cause this, LOL.
sfitz said…
Oh no Kari it totally didn't!!! Talking about it with friends is helpful for me, but it's the news that's killing me, and I don't even have a TV!!

And who the heck is Synaura?? Another Spam?? NO BUENO!
Lauren said…
Seriously...The other day I noticed that my lysol wipes container says "kills flu virus." The marketing is crazy, but, that's the United States for you.
Lauren said…
Oh, and I love your family photo! So cute!
Jessica said…
Amen Sarah...you have a right to choose. I didn't have a flu shot. I gave Owen the regular flu shot because I believe he is over exposed to people and wanted to protect him from sickness. Kyle being the youth pastor and potentially bringing home every kind of virus imaginable I feel more secure that Owen is vaccinated. Really it is your decision what you put in your body and no one has the right or responsibility of judging you about it. I'll be praying for a healthy third trimester for you and baby!
Candie said…
I AGREE COMPLETELY! im so frustrated with people running around out of fear without even doing their research. i dont know the answer- but i at least know not to inject medicines in my body without really thinking about the consequences. it is all about money and big business and creating hysteria. i appreciate this blog so much. thank you for your thoughts.
Anonymous said…
I completely agree. The medias job is to use fear of sickness and death. I've had the flu shot and got really sick (but every year it's a new batch so that might not happen again) I was working at a doctors office and felt it was necessary when working with geriatric patients. Getting the vaccine was as bad as getting the flu for me. As for the h1n1 there is just not enough information about it and it's side effects (which range from low fever to partial paralysis). I have two friends (pregnant in their 3rd tri) that got h1n1 and are fine. They said it was just like the flue but they rested for a few days longer. I also know 5 other people that have had h1n1 and are FINE back to being healthy. h1n1 is all about big business money and
Anonymous said…
I completely agree. The medias job is to use fear of sickness and death. I've had the flu shot and got really sick (but every year it's a new batch so that might not happen again) I was working at a doctors office and felt it was necessary when working with geriatric patients. Getting the vaccine was as bad as getting the flu for me. As for the h1n1 there is just not enough information about it and it's side effects (which range from low fever to partial paralysis). I have two friends (pregnant in their 3rd tri) that got h1n1 and are fine. They said it was just like the flue but they rested for a few days longer. I also know 5 other people that have had h1n1 and are FINE back to being healthy. h1n1 is all about big business money and

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments