Here's a Thought...

Every now and then I like to go visit my friend's churches. I think this is a good practice to keep. I know that people loooooove thier churches, and loooooooove their pastors, and that's great. But I think it can be quite the blessing to see other places and hear other pastors. Gain perspective. Be encouraged. Be encouraging.

I'm pretty sure it's biblical too.

For one thing, my closest friends don't go to the same church I do. So it's great for me to go with them, to hear what they're hearing, be moved, be spurred on, built up in the same way they are. I love to hear their pastors fired up about something so I get a better understanding of about what, and why, my friend is fired up. It's unifying.

It's also a good reminder to me that God works through A LOT of pastors, not just my pastor. The truth of the Bible is being preached in A LOT of churches, not just my church. Great things are happening in the body of Christ all over the world, not just the body of believers I'm familiar with. God is using some remarkable people to do some remarkable things, and I don't want to miss out on the blessing of knowing about such things because I'm stuck with my rose colored glasses on at my church. Perspective.

I'm not talking about Church hopping, or comparing churches against each other, I'm talking about going out and seeing where else God is working. Because He is working. And I want to be there, whether it's at my church or my best friend's, I don't want to miss it. It's a gift to worship with other believers, and it's too beautiful to miss.

Comments

Sheila said…
I couldn't agree with you more, Sarah. I especially loved your line when you said, "God works through A LOT of pastors, not just my pastor." I also believe that God works through a lot. Period. Even when we don't recognize his hand immediately. There is something that is ultimately calming aand reassuring for me when I am reminded of this. Thanks, Sarah!

Popular posts from this blog

Comments

In a Nut Shell...

Crafty Me