My View, a Short Story

Three wise men were carrying heavy loads while on their way to visit the King. They had been traveling a long time, and were tired, but they were anxious to be the first ones there, so they pressed on.

One wise man carried a large satchel, the largest I've ever seen. The leather strap of the bag dug into his shoulder and the weight of the contents burdened one side of his body so greatly that he walked with a limp. The satchel itself dragged alongside the man as if filled with boulders, digging a trail in the path behind the traveler. The wise man made a great show of his walk; step, drag, step, drag, umphing and huffing down the road.

The second wise man walked hunched over, bending under the great weight of his load as well. Across his back a canvas draped, mountainous object was held in place with giant chains criss crossing his chest again and again. They clinked and clunked together as he walked, rhythmically in time, one heavy step after the next. The wise man did nothing to quiet the clatter, however, as it drew stares from his fellow travelers and the bystanders along the way, which he pretended not to notice, or that he cared.

Just like the others, the third wise man carried a load far beyond his muscle strength. In his arms he held something so long and wide he could hardly see over the top. He held his head as high as he could for a better view, and pushed his nose up in the air, which actually felt rather comfortable, and familiar. His knees buckled as his walked and his biceps twitched and ached. He was exhausted, but determined to reach the King.

They arrived at the palace but the King was not there. The wise men found this disappointing, of course, as they were afraid the crowd that had gathered around them would dwindle if the King did not appear soon. Then the King would miss seeing how many followers they had acquired.

Unable to find the King in the waiting chambers they heaved their loads into the throne room, but he was not there either. Puffing and sighing they lifted their loads again, sure that when the King saw what they carried he'd be pleased and allow them to stay within the palace walls forever. But he simply could not be found. Tempted to rest but for a moment, one of the wise men leaned against a large window along the palace wall. It overlooked the fields of the Kingdom. The wise men could hardly believe his eyes when he saw the King himself along side the field hands pulling and pruning and plucking as if he were one of them. Perhaps there was some mistake, hadn't the King be waiting for these noble men? Backs and arms and knees nearly breaking by now I watched the men lumber down, down, down to the lowest parts of the field to finally have an audience with the King. By this time they were sure the King would be drawn to them for they were certain the items they held onto so dearly were the exact items the King looked for when choosing palace residents. And OH how they wanted to be palace residents!

The first wise man approached the King, pushing the satchel to the Kings feet. He grasped at the enormous buckle and lifted it open with all his might. "This, O King, I have dedicated my life to knowing. I have sedulously poured myself over the words. Memorizing, applying, critiquing. Before the sun rises and after it sets, and even while the rest of the city rests at noon, I have devoted myself to this book. Surely I am one you will have in your palace." With that he placed the holy book at the feet of the King with a thud.

The dust had hardly settled with the second wise man worked his way to the front and dropped to his knees, the weight on his back finally wearing him out. I saw the King being to reach for the chains the bound the pack to the wise man. "Oh King," the wise man said, "I've got this. You've got so much to think about, don't worry about helping me." The King put his hand down and stood waiting for the wise man to untangle the mess of chains. Finally the last chain fell and with a shift of his back his burden slid off. With great gusto he pulled the canvas off the object. "O King, Not a week goes by that I do not enter these doors. As often as they are open, I am there. Since my youth I have faithfully attended at every opportunity, often leading - or serving rather - when called upon. I brought my family, and my friends and all of the people who work for me. There is no other place I'd rather be than here, except, of course, in your palace with you."

Last, but not to be made least, the third wise man forcefully made his place before the King. Using what little strength he had left he positioned his encumbrance upright so it stood taller than everyone else in the field, even taller than the King himself! "Oh King," began the third wise man, "I have followed this leader from day one. I never questioned or doubted or aligned myself with another. Because I couldn't see you I know you gave this shepherd for me to follow in your stead. What a gift! But the real gift would be to see you face to face, just like this, in your palace everyday."

The three wise men stifled their pain and exhaustion and stood tall awaiting a favorable reply from the King. I was certain they would be granted their request as they had done everything that had been asked of them their entire lives! Then I saw the King walk past the first wise man with his boulder sized Holy Book. He brushed by the second wise man and stepped over his chains and around his mountainous Building. And just when I thought he was reaching out for the third wise man the king instead used his arm to knock down the Giant Man and continued walking until he came to a small child who had been watching the great spectacle. The child took a step back, and lowered his head. After kneeling down, with one gentle hand the King reached out and lifted the chin of the child and with the other hand he took the boys clinched fists into his own.

"Child, what do hold onto so tightly in your hands? What is it that you cling to?" asked the King.

"Only two small twigs, King, tied together. I only hold onto a cross."

"As do I, my boy."

The boy was lifted into the King's arms and carried into the palace as the three wise men, with their inadequate offerings, looked on in shock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me