God Bless the Sling Makers of America

My life as a mother and Ben's life as a baby changed drastically when he was just over 4 months old and my sweet sis-in-law Pam introduced my "high maintenance" baby to the power of the sling. We were standing in her San Francisco home when she, probably sick of hearing Ben's inconsolable crying, offered to carry him in her sling for a while. This was a new concept for me, but at the moment I didn't care if she wanted to carry him in an alligators mouth, so into the sling he went and an instantly calm Ben emerged. (This is all true, ask Carrie, she was a witness to the miracle.)

Addison is not as 0 to 60-ish as Ben was, at least not yet, but she is a bit of an extreme cuddler. This is an adjustment for me since Ben was perfectly happy, and actually preferred, to be left alone, no cuddling required. I love this new snugly baby, but its draw back arises when my 2 year old is sick of sitting around and needs someone to play ball with. Enter the sling. What to do when little Addie is grunting and fussing to be held and Ben is whining and pulling me outside to play with him? Sling baby, sling. Into the miracle wrap Addie went and I instantly had a happy infant, a happy toddler and two functional hands and arms that could wipe a nose, throw a ball or play pacifier at a moments notice. It was my first "OK, I can really do this" moment and we were all happy, happy campers.

Comments

Mamma Sarah said…
Thank goodness for the sling!! So wonderful to have 2 free hands and yet be snuggly with the little one! :-)
Anonymous said…
I've heard fabulous things about slings. Congratulations on your new little bundle. Great choice on the name, too!!!!
Dan said…
love your writing, Sarah! Good to know all are happy campers, too! Love ya, Papa Dan.
Keri said…
I want pictures, like a "how to" video, just in case we have another. I just never got the hang of it with Bo. You go girl, you can do it!

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me