Benny Boy

(Slightly boring post, FYI, it's a shame too because I actually do have a ton of unboring things I could write about...)

I just want to remember a couple of things Ben's been saying lately... He is one clever, logical little boy and sometimes his reasoning of things is so great. Often wrong, but still so great.

Mark questioned Ben's reasoning one afternoon for wearing his Sunday best shoes while rummaging in the dirt pile, gathering wood.
M: Ben, are you supposed to be wearing your nice shoes right now?
B: Essentially, Dad, I can wear these shoes at church, in the dirt, or when I'm gathering wood.
M: Hmm, well ok then.

On not wanting to share...
Me: Ben, what if your cousin had some really cool toy and didn't want to share with you?
B: (Very, a matter-of-factly) Then I'll take all their toys and there won't be any to share. (or something along those lines).

Ben and Addison both completed the summer reading program at the library and received a bag of loot for their efforts. The best part was when the library aid was up on a step stool stapling Ben's reading star to the hall of fame. First Ben didn't understand when he couldn't staple it himself, then the very patient library aid stood up there taking directions from Ben as he dictated exactly where he wanted his star placed. Thank you, library aid, for indulging my son in his Dictator Ben persona. I was really proud of Ben and Addison, and me too, because we really did read the required time in order to truthfully complete the program. I remember always doing the reading programs every summer growing up and loving it. I'm hopeful my kids will continue to enjoy reading as much as I do. One thing that really captures Ben's attention is the magazine he received a subscription for from Jesse and Luci. It's called My Big Backyard and it's kind of like a National Geographic for kids. He reads them cover to cover and then keeps them and refers to them often. He spent a chunk of time with my mom once "comparing bugs" in the backyard, magazine in hand, finding bugs that looked like or didn't look like the ones in this mag. Great gift!

This is some of their loot; gift certificates to lots of local restaurants, which kind of seems a little silly to me, I mean, who takes their kids to restaurants?


Here are a couple of cute shots just to thank those of you who actually made it to the bottom of the post. :-)

My kids in their AWESOME swimming attire. What? We are white people. White. Ain't no shame.




(

Comments

Wendy said…
OK... not a boring post! I had already heard both of the Ben stories and even still, I enjoyed your post! Awesome that you are starting them on the reading thing so early and making it fun. Kuddos, mama fitz!
Lisa Gomez said…
Haven't you heard of sun block? It works great. :) I was just thinking maybe Addie and Ben would like to feel the water. Can't wait to come swimming with you guys. Lisa xoxo
Amy said…
I love it! The whole post is great! :) Keep up the reading! :)
Julie Snell said…
Sarah...I have told a few people about the sharing story. I loved his matter of fact response to why he totally does not have to share with his cousins. It made complete sense, even though it was not the nicest :)
Lolly Caruana said…
i think jonny can relate to Ben's thinking on sharing. jonny's latest comment, when he didn't like the way things were going down threatened, "if you don't let me have that, then I'm only going to be God's friend! not yours!" and I'm kinda thinking, "well, that's fine with me, so long as you stay friends with God."
Lolly Caruana said…
p.s. that magazine sounds really cool! i second that "great gift" idea, pam! yea for fun reading!

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me