Organic or Not Organic? That is the Question

I'm reading a really interesting book called Real Food for Mother and Baby, by Nina Planck, which is all about foods women should be eating before, during and after having a baby, and really what foods everyone should be eating all the time. Mark read her first book, simply Real Food, and it basically changed his eating life. I'm not as easy to sell because apparently Kraft Macaroni and Cheese does not fall into the "real food" category. But it is a much better read than I anticipated and I'm learning a lot more than I had initially wanted to. (No one wants to be told to stop eating Mac-n-cheese, am I right or am I right?) There's probably no way Mark was going to get me to read her first book, but when she recently came out with this one which is tailored made for women and speaks my love language of Baby I had to give it a try. I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm going to go ahead and recommend this book to any woman thinking about having a baby, having a baby, or nursing a baby. And I'll also recommend her first book, Real Food, to any person of any life stage interested in learning about food. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, as I am.

I try to buy organic most of the time. But nowadays I feel like everyone is sticking an "Organic" sticker on everything and calling it "healthy" when really, I'm not so sure. Should I be buying organic fruit and veggies? Do they all need to be organic? It can get pretty pricey. I was happy to find a list in Nina's book called The Dirty Dozen and The Cleanest Twelve. This is a small, easy to reference list of the 12 best fruits and vegetables to buy organic and the 12 where it doesn't really matter. I thought I'd share the list.

The Dirty Dozen (Try to buy Organically as much as possible)
Peach
Apple
Bell Pepper
Celery
Nectarine
Strawberry
Cherry
Lettuce
Grape (imported)
Pear
Spinach
Potato

The Cleanest Twelve (Can do without being Organic)
Onion
Avocado
Sweet corn (frozen)
Pineapple
Mango
Peas (frozen)
Asparagus
Kiwi
Banana
Cabbage
Broccoli
Eggplant

See now, you learned something today by reading my blog, yay for not wasting time! Check out her book, and as I learn more interesting facts I'll post them up here. Oh, another little tidbit I think worth remembering; If it didn't exist 50 years ago, you probably shouldn't be eating it. Interesting eh? Very interesting stuff.

Happy Tuesday!

Comments

Allison said…
I was just having this organic/"poisonous" debate with myself today after leaving the grocery store!! It is SO much work - I mean, really! Oh to be oblivious!
I also like the rule "if your grandmother wouldn't know what it is, you shouldn't be eating it."
BTW - I could never give up Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and I don't want to feel guilty for feeding it to my child. sigh...
~Allison
Anonymous said…
I've heard if it has a "skin" or "peel" on it that you eat, Organic MAY BE better... if you don't eat the skin, it really doesn't matter. I think your list pretty much went down the line of those fruits/veggies. HOWEVER.... Doesn't the Bible say our days are numbered even before we take our first breath? Does it say (unless you eat non-organic foods then your number may decrease by____) So?? I think someone just said: "Hey, we can make a WHOLE LOTTA MONEY writing books, selling foods, etc with this Organic concept... "
Love, Your dear sweet Mother :)
sfitz said…
The Bible also says that our bodies are a temple. So yeah, I care about what I put it in.
tim bower said…
a few things... does this book talk about eating fermented foods? I was just talking to a friend about a book she's reading that sounds very similar. we got on a tangent about how fermented foods are eaten daily in so many other countries but americans get all weird about eating fermented foods when they are vital to your health. Also I love the quick list and have read a few others because i cannot afford all organic. I think eating organic is important for the sad reason that there are more pesticides sprayed on produce. Great post!

m
Wendy said…
ok... I looked it up... and girl you are good with the mac and cheese! Kraft started making it in 1937, that is 72 years... way more than 50, so I say, Eat it! I would, if I were eating dairy :)
sfitz said…
Thanks Wendy!! You really know how to make a girl's day. :-) 72 years? Who would've thought! I am very pleased.
Candie said…
fabulous post sarah! im so interested in all this stuff. im def gonna check out these books. in another book i read it definitely said that companies are slapping 'organic' on anything just to jack up the price & there are many loopholes in getting a product certified 'organic' so we gotta check it out for ourselves.
ps. chocolate covered gummy bears are 50 years old right? ;)
m8barber said…
Have you seen Food, Inc.? It goes right along with the things talked about in this book. It's a really good movie...and eye opening!! I highly recommend seeing it. It's only in a few theaters, but surely there's one not to far from you in SoCal!
The Brooner's said…
So I looked up the book and bought it, ha ha. Should be here any day now.

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me