Thanks, Mom and Dad



My dad posted this picture tonight on fb reminding me and my brothers of the childhood devotional book my parent's would read to us pretty much nightly. I loved seeing that picture! I love, and am so grateful, that I was raised by parents who took shepherding our hearts, even from a young age, very seriously. They read scriptures to us, sang songs with us, filled our minds with the things of the Lord. Their discipline was biblical and their desire for us to desire a the Lord was potent.

Some of my memories of my Jesus infused childhood:

~ GT and the Halo Express
~ My mom singing "Angles Watching Over Me" all the time. All. The. Time.
~ Memorizing bible verses as a family on road trips. ("If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray...")
~ listening to Dr. Dobson and/or Adventures in Odyssey every morning.
~ My mom reading John 14:27 to me whenever I was scared at night.
~ Praying I would always be caught, and never get away with any sin I was hiding.
~ My dad playing worship songs on the piano. (What was that one song you use to play all the time Dad? I can't believe I can't recall it right now. You know which one, right? I bet mom does.) ;-)

I don't think I realized, until just recently, how much thought/work/prayer/example goes into raising children in a Christ centered home. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for being faithful to answer that call, to the best of your abilities. By God's grace, your work was not in vain.

Comments

Judy Prince said…
Sarah, you WILL NOT believe this, but just today I thought "I need to download Angles Watching Over Me." I seriously DID. I still hum or sing that song A L O T. Because it's so true and real...

Thank you for your beautifully written and sweetly worded blog tribute. I'm honored you give us so much credit, but you and I both know the credit goes to Christ in whom all things are possible :)

I love you ... Mom
Anonymous said…
Certainly don't feel worthy of the praise; I remember good times and bad trying to do these devotions; wish I had understood just a little better that sometimes it was o.k. NOT to do them. But, mostly I remember 3 little ones piled on the bed or floor in one of your bedrooms, trying to hang in there for the questions and answer time, and yes, finally, the prayer. Love it. But I see in you and Mark a desire to do it out of love, not out of a "I have to" attitude, and that is the best of all! Dad
Anonymous said…
It's all about the actions and that is a direct reflection of my heart! That's what I'm learning with Isaac. Today I was singing "I am my beloveds and He is mine" to Isaac and it reminded me of being a kid and hearing my mom sing it to me.
Are you going to do that devotional with your kids?
I remember listening to adventures in odyssey too!

It looks like your writers block has been unblocked. :) I'm glad.

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments