8/10/06

Why my kids will not have Gameboys, and why I never had one growing up either.



It was a beautiful day at the park, not that these kids noticed. I laughed as I saw them sit on a bench for a least 30 minutes without looking up once- noses inches away from tiny black screens. (Actually, they were probably colored. Do they even make black and white screens anymore?) I wonder if their mom said something like, "It's a beautiful day outside, why don't you guys take your gameboys to the park to play." Perhaps it was the only way she'd get them outdoors. That wasn't how it was for me. I never had video games. Maybe Atari (sp?) But I vaguely remember it. My parent's never once gave us any hope of ever getting Nintendo. It wasn't open for discussion, no matter how many chores we'd do or good grades we promised to get, the answer was always a definite no. What ever did I do with my time? Did my mother actually have to engage with us? How did we survive the summer without video games or, get this - cable? Now, I know that many people played video games growing up and went on to live successful and meaningful lives. But I can't help wonder how the quality time of their youth could really be considered quality.

Oh, and one more thing... we didn't have TV's in our rooms either.

Today I am thankful for...
1. my parent's saying no, and meaning it. Every time.
2. my mom watching Ben yesterday so Lisa and I could get pedicures.
3. sweet conversations with my parents and Lisa over a yummy pizza.
4. Mark's three day work week this week!
5. Tina coming over on Tuesday!
6. a visit from George (a good friend from Mark's childhood) also on Tuesday.
7. fresh vegetables.
8. the Super Baby Food book!! It's the best book on nutrition for newborns to preschoolers. Hundreds of recipes, month to month guides on new foods for the first year, how to make everything from scratch. It's like the bible of baby food books, I LOVE it.
9. Oh! I went to the gym yesterday and had a nice workout and felt really good afterwards, so I'm thankful for the energy and the desire to start working out again. Also thankful for my faith being restored in the childcare at the gym. Ben had a great time and the worker was really nice.

10. FUN at the lagoon with Sarah and her kids this afternoon. Also thankful for getting Ben before he drowned, and that he didn't choke he just got a little scared - for like 30 seconds. Then he jumped right back in. I have about 10 mini-heart attacks every time that boy is around water. Sarah treated us to hamemade chocolate chip pancakes for dinner, what a treat!

Comments

Amy said…
Hi Sarah!- Amy

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments