A Week of First's

I never knew how much one boy could grow in one week until we finished up this last one and thought, wow, who is this big boy? A few times I thought my heart might literally burst with pride and love and joy at everything Ben was saying and doing - he just seemed so BIG to me. At the same time my heart ached a bit. Seeing him lay in his toddler bed, watching him ride a horse, laughing to myself when he told me to "shut the door loud, mom" when he sat on the toilet for the first time and wanted some privacy. I sort of bit my lip in front of Mark the other night after we closed Ben's door, not putting him in a crib for the first time made my throat tighten with a held in cry. It really does feel like just last week we were putting him into his crib for the first time, and now we're taking him out. Mark kept reassuring me that this is good, this is what is supposed to happen. Ben was a baby, now he's not, that's sort of the point of life - to grow. I think Ben feels it to, all this growing up. He's asked for more hugs lately, and laid his head on Mark's shoulder more than usual.

Anyways... I realize I'm babbling, it's just a lot for me to take in. My little baby Ben is not so little anymore, and he knows it. My mom took him to the top of a water slide at our friend's pool but told Ben (who wanted to go down it terribly bad) the slide was too big for him. Ben replied with "it's not too big for Ben!" And he says things like "of course" and "keep our eyes open" (referring to our constant look-out for tractors.) I told him the other day that we were going to see his cousins and play with them and his response was "actually, I go see the fish at Tony's house." He has an opinion and thoughts of his own and he knows how to tell me about them. This afternoon he sang a song for 10 minutes straight, a song he made up. It's amazing. He amazes me, he really does. I like what my sister-in-law tells her little boy, she says "slow down your growing up." I need to tell that to my little boy too.

I must've taken a hundred pictures of Ben last week because of all the new and fun things he was doing, but I limited them to these few.

First Pony Ride



First Time Down a Slip-n-slide
First Night in a Big Boy Bed

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sarah,

You are an amazing Mom and Mark is an amazing Dad...this combined with your love for Christ and dedication to bring your kids up in his name are why u have 2 amazing little people. You both never cease to impress me with the kind of parents you have become!
Amy said…
I know..I know!!! Hard uh!? It was weird when we put Natalie in her big ol'e Captain's bed~ I thought the toddler bed was rough. The slip in slide....look through my blog from last June. It took Natalie 4-EVER to go down it, and she was 3! Love you guys! :)
amy
Amy said…
okay not June...JULY for the slip n slide!!

Popular posts from this blog

Comments

In a Nut Shell...

Crafty Me