Less Talking, More Reading!



This is a picture of the books I currently have on my nightstand. Two of them are staples, two are reference books, three are "parenting must reads" that I have only read the first couple of chapters (or pages) of, and the last five are books I really, really, really, REALLY want to start and finish in a timely manner. Actually, now that I look at the picture, I did start and finish Traveling Mercies, that book was SO good! I just started They Poured Fire on Us from the Sky, the true story of three Lost Boys from the Sudan, and -oh boy!- I think I'm going to love it, (Thanks Rick!). The introduction spoke right to my heart and immediately made me want to read the entire book in one sitting (a luxury I gave up on December 26, 2004). Here's an excerpt, doesn't it sound a lot like something I've written about before?

"Two million dead. Five million displaced and at risk. A holocaust happening today. I recall the news stories over the years of famine related to drought and war somewhere in Africa, but somehow I thought it was mostly in Ethiopia. These boys flee to Ethiopia. Who flees to Ethiopia? I read two papers a day and three weekly news magazines. Why don't I know more about this war? Bosnia was in the headlines for months, but the only thing I've read recently about Sudan was that Osama bin Laden was there for five years."

Cup of chai and new book, here I come!

Comments

Julie Snell said…
Nice post Sarah...on that same note, I could just not get into the Jon & Kate book. I am on page 103 or something, but I struggled getting there. I don't know if it's the fact that I don't have kids so I don't relate or if it's that the book is SO drastically different from how they are on the show that I get annoyed reading it. Anyway, I will give it back to you when I see you incase there is someone else who needs it :) Can't wait to hear more about that book you just started.
Lauren said…
I love that you love to read! I don't know what it was about the robe, but I just couldn't get into that one. Jon & Kate, huh? I had no idea:) Is it any good? The vaccine book caught my eye....have you read that one yet, or is it on your "to read" list?
As you can imagine, almost all of the 10+ books I currently have stacked next to the bed are about pregnancy! I've always been more of a non-fiction than fiction reader anyway. Guess I better get my reading in before the end of July!
sfitz said…
A blog on my blog:

I think the reason why I was able to read the Jon & Kate book was because a) it was an incredibly simple read so it was easy to put down and pick up without much of a time and/or brain commitment. b) I liked the references to scripture and want to incorporate more verses in my daily life. And probably the main reason why I was able to read it was because c). You're right, Julie, it is nothing like the show - which I CAN'T STAND and don't watch.

And Lauren, I read a TON of books while I was pregnant and I think you should toss all of them and only read these two: Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent, and Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp. Everything else is too much info and they all start conflicting with each other. Just my two cents worth. I have a whole slew of what to read after you actually have the baby. :-)
Jessica said…
I'm going to amazon right now and ordering "Say goodbye to Whining". Is it normal that I already have to start reading this book? As well as "How to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk". Enjoy your book! I'm sure that I will learn much from your suggestions.
Wendy said…
I just finished my first book from cover to cover since college... Oh yes, Friend, That means this is the 1st book I have started and finished in almost 7 years! I hope I can still be your friend. Any way, it was Jesus Land, So different than what I thought it would be, although I did like it and it was a great read that was hard to put down at times. A bit depressing... but I think most good books are :) Some really hard topics and pictures that were painted, but this was her life, and I think it is great that she wrote it down. I think you should write a book friend.
Julie Snell said…
Lauren - I feel your issue on The Robe. I started it and got about 25-30 pages in and then never went back to it for about 5 months. Then I was encouraged by people that have read it to pick it back up and I am very glad I did. Once you get over the hump it gets REALLY good. Just one last note though...there were a few more dead spots for me in the book, but by then I was hooked so I powered through and it was worth it! Good Luck!
Anonymous said…
Traveling Mercies is at the top or very near on my list of all time favorite reads! Glad you named it and hope more people do - talk about Christian message!
~meg
Anonymous said…
so funny because i was just telling wendy and julie how i want to read a good book. I have 3 that are half started so i guess i could just finish one of them.

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me