Gift Talk


I love gifts. I love giving them when I've found just that right little something that I know a certain person will love. I don't like gifts at all when I feel like I had to make a purchase that didn't mean anything to me. Anyone can buy themselves a bottle of lotion. But if I find a bottle of lotion that is the exact sent of a memory we shared then heck yah I'll buy that lotion. Or if I know it's your very favorite but you never buy it for yourself because your bottle of Jergens is just fine, then I will be so excited for you to open that gift. One year my mom gave me a huge Costco size bottle of Neutrogena Rainbath Shower Gel... to you that may seem really silly. Soap? Really? But I LOVE the stuff. Love it. However it must be liquid gold or something because they charge waaaaay more than I'm willing to pay for shower gel. I cherished every drop of that stuff. That's a good example of how a seemingly ordinary present can really be something wonderful to the receiver.

There are a few things I know I'm giving that I'm excited about... but I'm struggling with gifts for kids. Who wants more stuff for their kids? But at the same time I totally want to be the cool mom and aunt who gives the cool gift, you know? And I want to see the look on the faces of my kids when they open the cool gift from someone else too, it really is so much fun! But what is it about? Giving, I mean. Is it about fun? Or, as the BFF so sweetly reminded me of, is it about being a blessing? Yes! That is what it is!! Jesus was born and because of his birth and the gift and blessing he is to us we have the chance to bless others. Part of me wants to go hog wild and buy awesome things the kids will flip over, like the laptop Ben would die to have or the umpteenth baby for Addison, but I'm trying to be really tuned in to who they are individually and what sort of present will actually be a blessing to them. What kind of gift blesses a child? Giving them exactly what they want? Surprising them with something they never dreamed they'd get? That's what I'm trying to figure out. Let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas.

Comments

Jessica said…
Thanks for sharing this. You totally opened my eyes. I want to be more strategic about what I give to Owen now. I don't have any ideas but the wheels are turning.
Amy said…
I'm like you....they already have everything they like! We can add to their collections for more fun and excitement, and or find something new...??? lol! We are having a hard time finding for Bradley. He's so happy with anything, and really doesn't spend a whole lot time with with anyone specific material item! You know what....Little People has a new nativity set. Have you seen it? It's totally cool! I thought about that! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments