Keeping Perspective

This morning I found our deep freezer open a crack with a puddle of water underneath. NO NO NO NO! I yelled, Please don't let everything be ruined! It was. Everything. And we keep a lot of food in there. Not just food though, milk too. Special milk that we buy in bulk and freeze, AND there were bags of milk for Mia, or "liquid gold" as it's fondly called. We had fish, ground beef, meals I had made and frozen for a later date, grass-fed beef (which ain't cheep) and more. Everything was not just defrosted, but warm. So everything had to go. I was so sad, I felt like I was basically throwing away fists full of cash as I dumped it all into the trash.

And then Ben, sweet Ben, who had graciously offered to help me clean up, says, "At least we have two more freezers full of food, mom."

He's right. We do.

And that's reality for us here. While it's painful to throw away food, it's not like that freezer won't be filled again - probably within days. It's not like that was our reserve and once gone we'll never eat again.

We have it so good here. SO good.

Don't get me wrong, it physically hurt to throw that food away. But as I did I started praying for those who have nothing, ever. The two "meals" they eat a day are given to them. They are not worried about losing a freezer full of food because it's such a foreign concept. To have so much that two or three extra storage places are needed? It sounds so silly when held up to reality of starvation.

Lord, fill their bellies today, and bless them for their unwavering trust in Your provision.

Comments

Unknown said…
What a bummer, especially the liquid gold. Do you guys really have 3 freezers? It's amazing how much we have, way to keep it in perspective.
The Brooner's said…
It was preparing you for the move. Less to move now. I agree, we have it SO good.
Lolly Caruana said…
good perspective. strangely, my "word verification" to post this comment is "unger"...if it just had the "H", would fit in precisely with your beautiful point, that you are so blessed, and NOT hungry. thank you, Lord, for feeding Your children. Help us all to share. Love u bundits.
sfitz said…
We have a fridge with a freezer in the kitchen, and another fridge w/a freezer in the garage, AND the deep freezer. So yeah, two refrigerators and three freezers. Amazing.
Kaci Mae said…
Reminds me of the manna in the wilderness...I wonder if it was hard for the Israelites to only take what they needed for the day and not stock up. God knows what we need to depend on him...I'm glad you looked at it with the right perspective!
Carrie P said…
Sarah - yes. keeping perspective is hard sometimes. Really hard. But I want to encourage you to keep going with your good attitude, choosing to think about other people who would never even know this loss...I love your heart for the poor and forsaken. Just like Jesus. The "liquid gold" part is especially hard...I remember our freezer left open when I was working full time and had probably 40-50 bags in there so Jason could use them while I work...I was physically sick to m stomach. BUT - its all in perspective. Forces us to be thankful for what we DO have.

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me