Enough!

I can't handle any more life changing books!!

A couple years ago it was Too Small to Ignore by Wess Stafford, which gave a voice to all the child-advocacy thoughts in my head. Such a powerful book. I prayed that 100 copies would show up on my doorstep because I wanted every parent, teacher, youth leader, coach, Aunt, Uncle, Grandparent, babysitter... to read it. Sadly that didn't happen, but it's a must read if you have any type of dealings with children in any capacity. It's so good.

Then it was The Robe, by Llyod C. Douglas, which gave a different angle to the story of Jesus and inspired me to constantly be on the look out for his return. Such a good read!

Then there was Radical, by David Platt. Which was radical. I was highlighting so much of it one night Mark recommended I only highlight the parts I don't like, to save time and ink.

One Million Arrows , by Julie Ferwerda, sits on my nightstand waiting for me to get past the first chapter but I can't because, well just because.

Because right now it's Crazy Love, by Francis Chan.

This book is similar to Radical in that it challenges the very fiber of me being a Christian, or at least calling myself one, and what that looks like Biblically. If you take a passionate person, such as Pastor Francis Chan, and add the Bible to what it is he's passionate about, in this case God's love for us and our response to that love, then you've got a life changing book in your hands.

I love and hate that.

Because I read these books and sometimes I'm like, oh fabulous, now I have to respond, and apply, and change. You can't read a book like Radical or Crazy Love and just set it down and walk away, it's impossible. In fact I dare you to. Give it a thorough reading then shrug your shoulders and carry on. YOU CAN'T!

I can't.

I won't.

Comments

Julie Snell said…
I have that book...got it for free at an event I attended that he spoke at. I have not read it yet though.

PS - Our Pastor spoke on something similar to this on Sunday. Not in reference to that book, but in regard to our hearts being hardened when each time we hear the glory of God or the teachings of Jesus and do not have it change the way we live our lives. To hear it and do nothing is worse than never hearing it and doing nothing. Good stuff.
Candie said…
oooh Julie that is good stuff.

i read the book when it first came out and really loved it-i definitely need to read it again. there is so much amazing info/points in those books its impossible to process everything at once.

ive been meaning to read his latest book Forgotten God (about the Holy Spirit) for some time now....
Allison said…
Reading this book right now with a group of girls. I chuckled at your sentence - "Because I read these books and sometimes I'm like, oh fabulous, now I have to respond, and apply, and change." - cuz exactly that has gone through my head.
Anonymous said…
I've been wanting to read that and I think this post pushed me over the edge. Julie can i borrow it when you're done?
I love books that change us especially when it's the areas that others can't see like empathy and awareness.

Sounds like you should read Fosters Celebration of Discipline. :)
Anonymous said…
I should say ways that people can't see right away, the places that God works and convicts us. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments