What's in a Name?

WARNING: SLIGHTLY INAPPROPRIATE MATERIAL FOLLOWS.
(Dad, you might want to sit this one out.)

I often find myself thinking about the names of stores and restaurants and how they came about. (I don't know why I think about such things, I just do). For example, if a store has a lady's name, is it the owner's name? Her grandmother's? Her twin's who was separated at birth? Or maybe a trendy girly name she wanted to name her daughter but her husband wouldn't let her so she name her store that instead?
When I was a little girl I had a "store" named Sarendipity. I think my dad thought of it. It was a play on my name, see, serendipity - Sarendipity. Catchy eh? Maybe that's where my interest in business names began.

Along with names I love, I have a running list of names of places where I'd like to ask the owners, "what were you thinking"? Except, in my head it would sound a little more like, "Who the H E double hockey sticks thought of SUCH a ridiculous name and what on earth were they thinking?"

Here are four examples and why they make the list:

1. Name: Flemings (a steakhouse)
Reason: I don't like to think about flem (phlegm) and food at the same time.

2. Name: Playmates (a drop-in daycare service in our area. I know, right?)
Reason: Who in their right mind would name a children's daycare Playmates? Of course, that thought didn't occur to me until after I saw their cheerful, bright little building and I went home to find out more about them online. Do you know what you see when you google "playmates"? NOT a cheerful, bright little building that's for sure! (Just take my word for it.)

3. Name: Big O To Go (a local pizza joint)
Reason: Sort of sounds like you're getting a liiiiiittle bit more than a pizza with your order, if you know what I mean. (RE: Office Space).

4. Name: Dicks (a sporting goods store)
Reason: Because this of this real life conversation -
Me: (To the checkout girl at a Dicks in North Carolina) "This is such a great store! I love it!"
Checkout Girl: "Oh? Is this your first time here?"
Me: "Yes. We don't have any Dicks in California."
I immediately started cracking up, realizing what I had just said. Checkout Girl didn't seem as amused. But really, if you're going to work at a place called Dicks you're going to have to be ok with a little Jr. High humor.

What am I supposed to do? These names just jump out at me a beg me to scrutinize them! Next time you see an interesting name you'll have to let me know. :-)

Comments

Anonymous said…
heehee. That's a good list. I'll have to admit, Big O to-go is enticing. I think your dad would get a kick out of your post.
Oh, and Berlyn sat on my lap and looked though all of your video posts, and was mesmerized. She kept asking for more. Whenever I need to calm that girl down, I'll just show her some video of your kids!
Wendy said…
Ok... so I see so much of this in my industry... there are sooo many not so great names for children's boutiques out there... here are a few that we sell to:
Get Wet- are you kidding me? Bad Idea!
Beached Whale- They sell Ladies clothes there too... Not so wise.
Little Dix Bay- at least they change the spelling to dix
Twisted Kidz- I would not want to shop there... sounds a little goth :)
those are just a few. So wrong!
Anonymous said…
I laughed out loud. Especially #4
I think you think to much :))) So funny sweet girl. mom
Anonymous said…
Laughing out loud... I love this. That's all.
Lolly Caruana said…
thanks for another good laugh, bff! you're one of a kind! love you!
Anonymous said…
I have thought of the
Flemmings problem before. I've been there once. Food and service...Great. Name...Sucks.

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments