When It Rains...

it pours, apparently. I think our family has been sick for a few months now, taking turns, all at once, a break here, a sunny day there, but over all it's feels like it's been three months of fighting off something. We all know about my two babies with four ear infections between them, but that just wasn't enough pain and antibiotics for our house. Nope, now you can add me to the list. Last night after a special treat of a dinner with dear Wendy I came home and casually mentioned my ear was bothering me. Two hours later I was writhing in pain, literally writhing. Rocking back and forth, tensing up, shaking, pulling my ear just like my 6 month old. It was awful. I even threw out a few desperate emails at 1am to Carrie hoping her nursing advise and personal experience with ear issues would cure me. Because I have this ridiculous mindset that ER's are for extreme emergencies I didn't go, although I probably should have. I held out until I could make it into the Urgent Care this morning.

Remember a year or two ago when I got my first ever earache and I thought my ear was going to explode but the doctor told me it was only "slightly" infected? I get that now. I get that it was only "slightly" because now not only does my ear feel like it's going to explode but so does my jaw, cheek, neck and half of the right side of my brain. This is not slightly. My writhing was justified this time because when the doctor looked in my ear this morning he said, "Oh my, that must really hurt. Ouch, no wonder you didn't sleep at all last night." THAT'S MORE LIKE IT. It had already ruptured a bit, but not much. That part didn't happen until later this afternoon when a saw blood in the fluid that's been draining out all day. I ditched the ear drops and went straight for the Vicodin at that point.

Remember a couple of days ago when I wrote about all the noise surrounding my house because of the construction going on next door and how Troy was screaming and wouldn't sleep? I have a new compassion and an apologetic heart towards that boy. If he was feeling half of what I'm feeling then his tears were absolutely real. Poor baby. And now when Addison complains about her ears hurting that that she "needs medsin" you bet I'm going to give it to her.

The gracious God that I love saw all this coming and sent my MIL for a visit on Tuesday. Little did any of us know she'd end up totally taking care of my kids today while I wallowed in pain. Thanks for your provision Lord! And thank you Tina for loving me and my kids!!

And you know the part that really gets me, the part that I feel most defeated about? The doctor said I'd be sore, uncomfortable and in some pain for about three more days while the antibiotics kill the infection. So that puts me at feeling pretty good on Sunday, right? Just in time for me to get my wisdom teeth pulled on MONDAY. Wonderful.

Sorry about the downcast post. I have some happy things to write about too, like Ben checking out a preschool that he'll hopefully start in the fall. And how I bought fabric softener for the first time ever and now when I open the dryer I take a big whiff and think of Lolly. I got my hair colored a beautiful shade of dark. I have a cool new thing I like to do with the kids before bedtime. See, all happy things. But I don't want to lose the sadness potency by writing a bunch of warm fuzzies.

Oh, one last thing. Mark and I put our house on the market and we're moving to Australia. Goodbye!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Classic Ending!!! Girl, I can't believe the pain you described in that post. Unreal...i bet even the cheddar fries did not help bring you joy. I pray your healing is swift, so you can get on with the healing of the wisdom teeth...why do they call them that anyway?
Anonymous said…
I'm so sorry about your ear infection! I hope I don't get one too. Did our ears happen to touch, or just exchange stolen glances yesterday? Oh I found this iPhone app that I thought you'll like it's called all recipes and it has slow cooker recipes
Hope your ear holes feel better soon
Dan said…
I'm praying for you Sarah; amazing, when your 'baby'hurts, so does her dad, even if she IS 28! Hang in there...I wish I could take the pain for you. Dad
Carrie P said…
I truly think someone who has not had a bad ear infection like that has no idea...its awful. So sorry you went through all that...and yes, ERs are mostly for "threat of life or limb" but...there are always exceptions :) Man, I need to go to your Dr because when mine ruptured I got antibiotics and told to take Tylenol. Next time I'll ask for Vicodin please. :) Hope you are feeling better before Sunday!! And good luck Monday!
Anonymous said…
why did no one so far react to AUSTRALIA!?!?!? Just when I'm getting to know you and like you, you're moving across the world? Or was that delirious, feverish ranting!?!?
Your ear infection/pain sounds really terrible. I think you better call dentist about this episode before going ahead with surgery right on its heels!
Good healing wishes on your house,
~meg
Noblekain said…
Funny Meg, that's about ALL I reacted to.

Well, not totally true... I DID worry a bit about my rough-housing with Addie on Monday's Fitzson night. If you can "catch" ear infections (as it has obviously happened in the Fitz Home), I seriously hope my body is up to the task of fighting it off. Who woulda' thunk-it?

As for my reaction to Australia, I'd say, "Great! It's about time. I'm listing my house tonight! How does SE Queensland sound?"
sfitz said…
Hi friends, thanks for the love and support! Never fear, us moving to Australia is simply a reference to Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. One of my favorite books growing up. Whenever we'd have a bad day my mom would ask if we're moving to Australia, like Alexander wanted to. If you aren't familiar with the book you should read it, it's a classic.
Lolly Caruana said…
jesus, please heal my friend. and her whole household.

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments