Full Circle

***Warning: Gets a little graphic, not too bad, but, you know, my dad reads this, so I just want to give him a heads up.***

My dear friend Wendy had an interesting conversation with her gyno today, HA! - I bet that got your attention, I've asked her to share it with you. Take it away Wendy...


Don't get your hopes up people, it was just a yearly exam :)
So, I love my "down there" doctor, she is so awesome, perfect combo of friendly, professional, calming and personable in my opinion. Well, today I was there and we were chatting about me moving onto the same street as my twin and one of my favorite people, ie: Sarah :)
And I mentioned, that she (my doc), delivered Sarah's last baby a year ago. This is how it went...

Me: "You actually delivered my friend's baby a year ago, not that you remember, I am sure you deliver 800 or so babies a year."

Her: "Yeah, I get to do a lot in a year." :)

Me: "She had a not so great experience, the anaesthesiologist was pretty much still trying to give her the epidural while she was pushing her baby out. And she ended up having to be flat on her back for a long time and... it just did not go well."

Her: "uhhh... I remember that delivery. Stephani was her nurse right? (it was, sarah told me later) I actually had a delivery very similar to hers a few weeks ago, with her same nurse, probably why I remember hers now. :) This woman was also very close to delivering and the nurse made the call to the anesthesiologist, per the delivering mom's request. When she found out the one that was on call was very slow at his work, she decided to talk to the soon to be mother about there not being enough time to get it before the baby came. After the delivery she told me, "When I found out who it was I did not want what happened to that other woman (ie: our very own Sarah) to happen to this lady."'

Me: "oh, that is really good, because it was not a good memory for her, It is a story, but it was not a great one for her to think back on."

We talked a little more about it and she said she thought that if Sarah had a faster anaesthesiologist she would have had no problem ('no problem' most likely meaning no problem with the shot going in properly), although she did not think it would have taken effect before Troy came out... but she hoped that Sarah was prepared for no epidural this time around, because if her 3rd came that fast, her 4th is going to fly right out :) So get ready Sarah :)

I called Sarah after I got out of the appointment to let her know that her horrible experience ended up sparing another mother the same experience. So Kuddos! I love when people learn through others pain and discomfort. It almost makes what you felt and went through worth it, knowing what you suffered spared someone else from going through it too.

-----

Thanks Wendy! I was happy to hear this story because it made me feel like; Ok, they got it. They knew how they handled things in the delivery room with me wasn't right and they learned from their mistakes. The nurse remembers me and takes my story into consideration now. I very quickly asked Wendy if she asked the doctor why she didn't stop the anesthesiologist (who was trying to stick a needle in my back as Troy's head was coming out). But Wendy, who also had thought about asking this, understandably didn't feel like prolonging (or perhaps offending) the doctor while she was in such a vulnerable position, if you know what I mean.

Oh, and I'm definitely going in with the mind frame of no pain meds this time. Since the shot was a no-go I felt everything with Tman so I've done it without before and I know what to expect. When it was all said and done my extreme craziness was only about ten minutes long. In the grand scheme of things 10 minutes really isn't bad at all. My plan (HA! Those words shouldn't even go together!) is to go into labor, look at the clock and figure I have about 30 minutes of some uncomfortable moments ahead. But that's less than an episode of American Idol, and think of how uncomfortable those moments are. Maybe I'll just pop in a tape of A.I. Auditions and then I'll be like, "Well at least I'm not THAT girl right now." It could work.

Comments

Julie Snell said…
Awesome Sarah! If I was there with you, I would (in pure Josh Caruana fashion) pull the collar of my t-shirt up over half my face and listen/barely watch in pure agony :)
Wendy said…
Oh Sarah, who knows why there are politics in hospitals that dictate how they make their decisions about care. It is not good though, I am not positive, but from inferring things from conversation, I believe that the politics between anesthesiologists and doctors not being able to "over-ride" decisions on behalf of the patient can be wreckless. I do realize lawyers and higher-ups are the rule makers in these situations, but it is sad that it really comes down to the $ and not the best interest of the patient. If the doctor would have stepped in, and then something would have gone wrong in a different way, could she be held libel? If she had stepped in and the anesthesiologist then not gotten paid, would it have been on her head? Is the anesthesiologist that hard up for payment, that he/she would not see that the baby was coming and there was no way this epidural was needed and should have weighed the cost/risk in doing his job. So many questions that we will never know, and even if we do get answers, I have a feeling we would not like them, and we would not be able to change them. For that, I am thankful that it was only 10 minutes of bad memory, and that Troy's life thus far has more than made up for that time. What a PURE joy that boy is! Every time you think back to that horrible moment and start to get angry or frustrated with asking Why? What? Who? Just think about little Troy Boy dancin' with your IPhone :)
Lisa Gomez said…
You are so cute! Good luck!
Lolly Caruana said…
oh man! u just keep thinking that way, and Lord-willing, you won't have to experience the ring of fire again!!!
tim bower said…
That is so disturbing that you had to go through that! I'm still shocked that they gave you and epi while he was coming out! Everyone that I know that has gotten and epi were given a cut off point. You are a strong one. I am interested to hear why you've decided to go natural because the last time I remember talking to you about it you still wanted an epi...is it because it will be so fast that you rather have the pain then be on your back or what not? I know you've done this 3 times but I have a few really good books on natural labor if you're interested.

Lolly what is the ring of fire?? Sounds scary.

Mariah

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments