A New Kind of CSA


We received our first box yesterday from our new CSA group, Farm Fresh To You. You may remember we had a stint with a different CSA group not too long ago. That CSA experience reminds me of my high school boyfriends; absolutely head over heals in LOVE for about 3 months (or three weeks in some cases), then just annoying and too much work. But this time it's different, I promise.

Here are the reasons why this CSA is better:

1. It has many options to tailor make the box just the way I want it. I'm a fruit girl, so we get a "Mostly Fruit" box that is, well, mostly fruit. And the veggies that are included are "Easy Veggies" meaning no cooking necessary.
2. A week before we receive the box we get a list of what will be in it. If I don't like something on the list I have up until 24 hours before delivery to email them and let them know No onions, more strawberries. Pretty cool, huh?
3. We pay per box... so there's no huge sum due at one time, and there's no contract. So we can stop at anytime, or skip a week or two with no problem.
4. They deliver to my doorstep. :-)
5. No crazy amounts of one item, like 5 heads of lettuce. None of that.

It's still all organic, all locally grown and seasonal. The company is new to Orange County, but it's been in the Bay area for 20 years. Our first basket had perfect amounts of apples, oranges, strawberries, green grapes, grapefruits, lettuce, avocados, cucumbers and tomatoes.

So, so far so good! Hopefully this will be a nice match for our family. Check it out for yourself, and be sure to tell them I sent you. www.farmfreshtoyou.com If you do end up signing up let me know because I have discount codes and referral discounts and whatnot. Oh, where did I find out about this CSA? The rodeo of course!

(Have I blogged about the rodeo?)

Comments

The Brooner's said…
Can I ask about how much each box is and how long it lasts you with a family of 5?!
Julie Snell said…
I would love to do this, but b/c it's just me and Kirk I think we would waste stuff. Is there an option for a smaller box? Or maybe the twin would want to go in half-n-half with me...Hmmmm.
sfitz said…
Our box is $31.00, which I think is very comparable to what I'd spend at the Farmers Market, and what I probably spend on fruit and veggies every week anyway. So one week I'm buying from a store and one week it's being delivered to me. This is our first box, so I don't know how long it will last us, I'm guessing a week to a week and a half. The strawberries and apples are gone, but that's to be expected around here. I think there is an "every week" option, but we're just playing it by ear for now.

Julie, there is a smaller box, perfect for two people. It's $23 I think.

Both of you-- check out the website, it's has tons of details about sizes and variety options and prices. www.farmfreshtoyou.com
Wendy said…
Twin... We will check it out this weekend and decide if we want to share a box :)
hippo brigade said…
wait, who did you date in high school? I don't remember.
sfitz said…
No one really from EDHS, except for a few randoms here and there... most of my "flavors of the month", as my brother so lovingly called them, were from church. I think there was a Mike, a Brian and a handful of Matts. (No joke about the plethora of Matts. My parents started calling them by numbers at one point.) Oh Lord, guard Addison's sweet heart!
sfitz said…
Oh, and Brad Onishi.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing, Sarah!
I just finished counting up how much I spent on fruits and veggies today at TJ's ($34). And that's about every 10 days approx. So I think I'm in the market (no pun intended ;O)) for having someone delivery my biweekly fruits and veggies rather than making an extra trip to the store! THANKS, friend! ~Kelly Hanson

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments