I've been living in the season of "Less is More" for a few months now and I've made little habits here and there of getting rid of stuff. For example: when I fold laundry I almost always have a TJ's brown bag sitting next to me, so as I fold I can easily put unecessary, rarely worn, (or over-worn), duplicate items (how many brown long sleeve shirts does one girl need?) right into the bag. It's very handy, I highly recommend it. I'm also trying very hard not to buy anything that we don't need, trusting that the Lord will provide for all our needs, and even lots of our wants too ('cause He's cool like that, right C?). And I feel like I've been doing pretty well with this. In fact; up until yesterday if someone would've asked me what I want for my hugegiganticmegathirtieth birthday that's quickly approaching I wouldn't have been able to think of one single thing. Not one. (Ok, maybe a pair of TOMS, but will that desire ever really go away?)

BUT THEN... I went to Cost Plus World Market.

Now, all of the sudden, I am in need of no less than 100 new items.

I went in for four knobs for two drawers. Four, tiny, measly little knobs. And I found them right away. Aren't they pretty?




But instead of turning right around and heading to the cashier I thought, hey, I'm alone, I've got a few minutes, when do I ever get a chance to just browse? (Insert sneaky little demon laugh here).

If there is one thing my kids have done for me it's totally eliminate my ability - and thus my desire- to browse.

I should be thanking them profusely.

Browsing is bad. So, so bad. All it did was send me into this justification mode where everything I saw became something I needed.

Six colored water glasses? Absolutely necessary.

Adorable floral print scarf (which doubles, in my opinion, as a super cute table runner)? Totally a need. It has been drizzly in the mornings and a dual purpose item is as if I get two things for half price, how can I afford NOT to get it?

I LOVE that store. The funky accessories and clothes, the furniture, the wine, the art, the rugs, EVERYTHING!

I think the lesson here is twofold:
1. Never get too comfy with a victory over a weakness.
2. Take my children with me everywhere.

Comments

Jessica said…
This makes me laugh only because on Saturday I set out to run a few errands ALONE because I wanted to be alone. I went to World Market with my $10 off of $30 coupon to pick up something very specific. Unfortunately they didn't really have what I was looking for so I spent another hour in that store trying to justify using my coupon on something else extraordinary that I definitely "needed"...I even looked at the knobs. But I resisted and as I walked out I gave my coupon to a lady in line so that I wouldn't be tempted to go back next week and buy that oh so adorable shower curtain for the bathroom that won't even be remodeled until next year. And to top it off...I wasted so much time that day "browsing" I forgot that Kyle had a soccer game and he missed it.
Meg said…
that store is deadly for me too! I guess I better get some toddlers :)
Anonymous said…
I love the knobs! You should check out anthropologies knobs (maybe not though if you don't want to buy more stuff).
Cost Plus is so fun! They have my favorite tea (pg tips) and yummy spreads for toast along with all the fun stuff you mentioned.
I think it's so important how we spend the money that God has entrusted to us. I agree that less can be more.
sfitz said…
I like the knobs at Anthro, but the ones at Cost Plus were only $1.99 a piece. I think the ones at Anthro are more, perhaps much more. But I do love that store. Thankfully I can't ever afford anything in it, so that pretty much keeps me out of it - and the clothes fit me really funny. The back part about Cost Plus is their prices are pretty low, so it's really hard for me to say no!
Darren Prince said…
well, you just gave me a GREAT gift card idea for you!

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments