4/03/06

Romans 1:21-22 ~ " For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools."

I was reminded by sweet Heather Russell that I had mentioned sharing the key verses which have had the greatest impact on me during my walk with Christ. There are about 6 or 7. They pretty much tell "my story"; where and when and why. So this will begin a 7 day look at the 7 seven verses that I'm convinced God had written in the bible just for me. Who knows, maybe they were written for you to? :)

I got to a point after high school (got to love that time of life, don't you?) when I just didn't care too much about church, the community within church and pretty much anyone claiming to be a "Christian". I had seen my share of hypocrites (at this time I didn't recognize the fact that essentially we're all hypocrites) and wasn't thrilled with where, I was convinced, The Church was headed. While I never denied the existence of God, I neither "glorified God nor gave thanks to him" and I definitely became a fool.

I never became a completely rebellious fool, though. Oh no, I still went to church and played the part very well. But I was proud. So proud, in fact, that I thought I was too good for church. I thought I knew all there was to know about Christ and I was good to go, I didn't need church. (Oh the lies the enemy feeds us!)

After a good couple of years of an up and down, on fire - no fire, hot-cold kind of faith I read Romans 1:21-22. I read it and then read it again. Except the second time I read it like this:
"For although I know God, I neither glorify him as God or give thanks to him, but rather my thinking has become futile and my foolish heart is darkened. Although I claim to be wise, I have become a fool."

When I made it personal, I was guilty as charged. I realized how foolish I had become, so arrogant and foolish. So then what? Well... then verse #2 came into play.

(to be continued...)
Today I am so thankful for...
1. Marks safe return from Vegas and that neither of us have plans to be away from each other anywhere in the future, that we know of. :)
2. the really hard bone God put on our foreheads so that when we, and when I say "we" I mean Ben, fall we don't smash our brains entirely. (Ben's forehead received two thumbs up in the protection department today.)
3. my meeting today with the other table leaders. It was a small group and we just chatted for two and a half hours, sharing all sorts of things. It was wonderful.
4. having our amoire back in our house, and that my parents let us keep it at their house for a couple of years.
5. God writing a specific verse knowing that when I was 21 I would read it and begin to see, really see, the truth in His word.
6. the two guys that installed our counter-top and sink in our bathroom. They were so nice and polite.
7. finding my pots and pans!
8. my mom coming down yesterday to play with Ben while I got some things done. They just have a good old time together, those two.
9. Joe being around and willing to help do anything we need help with. tonight it was setting up the cable in our house and move extremely heavy furniture.
10. a great little comment from Heather that made me laugh and feel so loved. I need to get me over to that Russell house!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comments

In a Nut Shell...

Crafty Me