4/13/06

Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart."

The footnotes of my bible say this:
"To delight in someone means to experience great pleasure and joy in his or her presence. This happens only when we know that person well. Thus, to delight in the Lord, we must know him better. Knowledge of God's great love for us will indeed give us delight."

I think that you can easily find a recurring theme among all of my verses: Joy comes from the Lord. I love this verse because it reminds me, once again, that finding joy in the Lord opens up the gates of his blessings for me. This verse encourages me to read the Bible so that I can know Him well. It also puts a quick end to my prideful thinking that I don't need to go to church, that I'm just fine with having my closest friends me non-believers and that finding pleasure in this world is wrong and meaningless whether or not anybody knows or seemingly cares.

It's a happy verse. It's refreshing to read and a verse that struck me as an exciting challenge. It's a simple cause and effect verse too. If I delight in the Lord (seek Him, study Him, read His word, fellowship with His people) then He will give me the desires of my heart. Not if I call myself a Christian, not if I believe there is a God, but rather if I delight in Him -experience great joy and pleasure in His presence. It's a beautiful concept and one I'm afraid many believers miss out on; the give and take of a relationship with God. How sad that most, very much including myself at times, just take take take. He offers us so much more than mediocrity, than a constant state of being "fine." He offers us the desires of our hearts!

So what is the desire of your heart? I knew mine... my calling. I found it in verse #7.

(to be continued...)

Today I am thankful for...

1. the wonderful time my MOPS table had at the Irvine Park yesterday. It was really warm out, and we had a blast.

2. our new blinds!! They add so much to the house, i love them!

3. Mark being able to go to a Good Friday service today with me and Ben. :)

4. getting 8 hours of sleep last night. (I could get 12, but I just stay up way to late most nights.)

5. Don washing all of our windows, inside and out.

6. the glass being installed in the master bath and now we have two full functioning bathrooms!!

7. all the ceiling fans we put in. It was 86 degrees here yesterday and we had them all on. Loved it!

8. a verse (Psalm 37:4) that makes me giddy.

9. Ben (and myself) not getting fried yesterday. I thought for sure I'd be seeing red on him, but I guess the bucket of 50 sunscreen I put on him worked.

10. the clouds that are rolling in. I like it, it seems fitting for a Good Friday to be dreary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comments

In a Nut Shell...

Crafty Me