11/24/06

A year of Thankfulness.

It's been one year since I started keeping a list of things I'm thankful for. The everyday thing didn't quite work out for me, and the number of "things" has dwindled from time to time, but overall I would say this last year I was much more aware of what I am thankful for. Basic things I tend to take for granted; like water, shelter, food good health care. Big things like no tragedies in my immediate circle of friends and family. Little things too; like the kindness of strangers at the grocery store, flowers, unexpected and thoughtful gifts. I even became more aware of the silly things I'm thankful for; like garage sales and can openers and I think a variety of food items have made the list. I have begun to be thankful for things through Ben's eyes, in which case I am thankful for Blue's Clues, VeggieTales and "D".

Going back through the lists its interesting to see what was making an impression on me each particular day right at that moment. I think I might print the year's worth and keep it as a little journal. Many people use my list as a way to keep up with the going-ons of my family and I like that. Some people have learned a lot about me personally and as I read over this past year I realize that I have learned a lot about myself too. I've learned that there are a significant community of people that surround me that I am continuously thankful for. My three, almost four, member family, my extended family, my friends that are practically family, they dominate the lists. I am so, so blessed.

So, I'm keeping it up. I'm going to keep on posting because I want to be aware of the daily circumstances I've been given to be thankful for. Here's to another year of thankfulness!

Today I am thankful for...
~ my parent's for coming to my house to take care of Ben while I wallowed in a little thing called the flu.
~ Mark for taking care of Ben all morning and putting him down for a nap while I slept.
~ my mom making breakfast for everybody yesterday even though she could be there to eat it with them.
~ my dad's fruit salad and commitment to getting whoever could get together -together.
~ my much improved health today!
~ Carrie's blog because it's always very encouraging and inspiring.
~ a very comfortable couch.
~ getting back to walking with Sarah. My body has missed those walks and my soul has missed our good conversations.
~ Darren and Pam and kids getting to do what they do up in San Francisco on Thanksgiving. I which I could've been there, it's my favorite time to be with them. They are a blessing to many.
~ Ben's excitement when he heard Nana and Papa Dan were standing at our door last night. He was literally jumping up and down shouting their names and getting frustrated that I wasn't opening the door fast enough. I love that he knows and loves them.
~ the beautiful baby blanket sweet Karen Stock made for the new little one. We've had GREAT success with the one she made for Ben, known as D. I think baby #2 will be equally as thrilled.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So nice to read your blogs and "keep" our ever growing families in touch after 25 years! Hope baby #2 is the right sex for that blanket! IF not, I'll just have to make another.
Karen

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me