6/03/06

I had an encounter with a sales clerk this afternoon who treated me like I've never been treated in a store before. I've had 2 gift certificates to Williams-Sonoma since my birthday, just burning a hole in my pocket. I've actually had a couple failed attempts to buy things, but they were never exactly right and I took them back each time. Well I finally found something, a large salad bowl, that I knew was perfect. I gave the sales lady, Gail, my gift cards and she rang me up. The first card had a whopping $5.85 on it, the second card $0.00. That's right, NOTHING. I knew there was something wrong; that card should've had over $80 on it, but she swiped it over and over again and each time the register said "Balance $0, card closed." I was embarrassed and heartbroken and then I was angry. I felt I had been wronged big time. The last lady must have given me the wrong card when I took my last purchase back. There was no way I could afford the salad bowl without that gift card.

Gail could've done a lot of things in that situation. The most probable would be to ask for the owed money or return the bowl to the shelf if I couldn't pay for it. But instead she did something that I'm still surprised by. She took the already bagged bowl, walked around the counter and placed it in the basket of my stroller. She said, "You take this. I have your name and number, we'll figure this out another day." I couldn't believe it. It's not like I was standing in the .99 cent store, and this was no .99 cent salad bowl I was walking out of the store with, but she just smiled and looked at me like my embarrassed, heartbroken, angry feelings really mattered to her.

Sort of reminded me of the time when Darren told me about looking at people, making eye contact with them. Seeing them for more than what the immediate situation offers. Everyone needs to feel validated, that their thoughts and feelings count.

I went home and looked everywhere for a receipt proving that card had money on it. Not only did I find the receipt, I found it wrapped around a Williams-Sonoma gift card, the right gift card. I immediately called Gail at the store and told her what I found, apologizing profusely. She was thrilled, so kind and understanding. She didn't know me from Adam but she looked at me in the store and looked beyond the immediate situation. She looked up when the situation was looking very down.

Today I am thankful for...

1. God placing Gail in my path today to remind me to treat everyone with respect to their feelings, taking into consideration where they're coming from. I'm thankful for her kindness and generosity towards me, even if it's what she's trained to do, 'cause I know that's what some of you pessimistics are thinking. I've been in enough places to know that being trained in a skill doesn't mean you possess it.
2. fun little emails from my cousin Amy WELL past our bedtimes!
3. spending the afternoon with my two favorite boys at a really cool event for children with epilepsy. Our friends daughter has it, so it was neat to support her and her friends.
4. Ben being cuddly today.
5. Tiny not dying every time he flips himself over in his cage. Should I be suspicious?
6. getting to talk with Darren just before he and Pam boarded their plane for Africa. I can't wait for updates on his blog. www.darrenprince.com
7. my mom thinking of me during her trip to Mississippi. :)
8. finding the perfect gifts for three very special people we're celebrating tomorrow. :)
9. fruit cups, Ben's favorite.
10. naps!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Me

In a Nut Shell...

Comments