1/14/06

I watched an interesting documentary on the 7.6 earthquake that rocked Pakistan and India on October 8 of last year. 1,800 people in India died as well as 75,000 people in Pakistan. Did you know that? I had no idea. Due to the overwhelming media coverage of the Tsunami and hurricane Katrina, news rooms across the US felt our country was on “disaster overload” therefore giving the quake –where 3x the amount of people were effected than in Katrina- some, but little coverage, leaving the devastated lands falling short of the much needed aid they must have in order to survive. Watching this program brings up many issues, but I don't really want to get into all that right now.

I was moved by an interview with a Pakistani-American Marine who is serving as a translator in one of the many makeshift hospitals/triage centers the US set up in Pakistan. When asked how he got his position this was his reply:

“After the quake I heard rumors that they were looking for Pakistani-Americans to go to Pakistan and translate. I knew it could be dangerous, but I knew I could help. So, I said ‘please, send me. I’ll go, I want to go. I speak the language, send me.’

His passion for his people struck me in a deep way. He was so ready and willing to go, despite the danger, the distance, the discomfort.

I sing to Ben all the time and one of his favorite songs is “The Lord’s Army". I march around singing “I’m in the Lord’s army, yes I’m in the Lord’s army…” if I truly believe those words, and I do, then shouldn’t my passion to serve equal, if not surpass, the Marine’s passion? There are many references in the Bible telling us that we are in a battle, and that those who follow Christ are his soldiers. This isn't a matter of inlisting, I'm already counted among the ranks.
After watching the Marine share his story, Luke 10:2 sounds more like a battle cry than ever before. What should my response be?

“…The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.” (Luke 10:2)

“Please, send me. I’ll go, I want to go. I speak the language, send me.”

Today I am thankful for...

1. God stirring my heart and reminding me that while the battle does belong to him, I'm a part of His fighting army. A winning fighting army, but a fighting one none the less.

2. chatting with Heather Russell about things she's passionate about, it fires me up.

3. a morning of rain and an afternoon of sun.

4. getting to take a really long shower this morning.

5. Mark getting a really good, deep sleep this morning when he got home from work at 4am.

6. the puzzle my parents gave Ben for Christmas. It's hard to explain, but when you remove and replace a piece the animal makes a noise. Well, it's light sensitive, so if the pieces aren't in at night when I turn out the light a bird, horse, fish, hamster, dog, cat, mouse and frog bid me 'goodnight' in their own special way. It makes me laugh every time.

7. Ben feeling much better today.

8. the freedom to be frustrated with the media, and - at times -the government.

9. Amy Abbott, who just loves her silly husband Todd so much it make me giggle.

10. finding the teething tablets for Ben so his poor gums won't be so sore.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me