1/17/06

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11)

There have been many times lately where I have removed Ben from a situation and he has thrown a big fit about it. I move him away from the edge of the street, I take away something sharp or dangerous that he’s holding or eating. And he falls to the floor as if I’ve taken away his only joy in life. Other times, however, I try to give him something that I know he’ll like, but he just won’t listen to me. For example, the other day we were walking through Costco and a lady was handing out samples of waffles with syrup and whipped cream on top. I knew Ben was hungry, I knew he would love the taste of the sweet syrup and the feeling of the whipped cream on his tongue. But he wouldn’t try it. I stood there saying, “Ben, I am trying to give you something great, I know you will love it, just trust me and take a bite.”

Jeremiah 29:11 rings in my ears loudly now as I guide Ben through life. He gets mad at me when I put him in the car seat because he doesn’t understand I’m doing it so we can go to Disneyland. I have to laugh now because I realize that maybe THIS is what God was saying to the Israelites, and us today. We don’t see the big picture like He does. We see that something isn’t fun, or is taking too long, or unfair. But God sees the reasoning for these things; he knows where He’s taking us and how it needs to be for us during the journey. Also, I’m pretty sure there have been times when God has been trying to give me something great, a gift, a piece of knowledge, a relationship, and I simply refused it. It was new and different and I wasn’t about to trust Him.

It’s really so unfortunate.

It breaks my heart when Ben gets mad at me for something I have to do in order to protect him. But, like God (in a much smaller way) I see the bigger picture for Ben. I have only good plans for him, not to harm him, but to see him grow and have a future.

Ok, God, I get it now. Thanks for your patience.

Today I am thankful for...
1. seeing all of the MOPS leaders come together this morning after our long break and pray for the ladies at our tables.
2. hearing an amazing testimony for one of the other leaders.
3. a clean bill of health for Ben at his one year check up. And that he only let out a little yelp as he got two shots.
4. living in America.
5. being able to wear any type of clothing I want to.
6. talking with Pam today for a little bit on the phone. She is such a great mom and wife, I love hearing her interact with Jesse and Luci. Pam is a lot of fun and I wish so badly that we lived closer. Plus, she’d be a great walking partner.
7. my sore abs because I did a workout video yesterday, so the pain today means it worked! I guess I better do it again…
8. catching up with Kelly, I can’t wait for MOPS to start so we’ll have a pre-planned day every week to hang out.
9. getting to read a little bit of my book today, and being reminded of my mom because it takes place in the south.
10. all the compliments Ben gets on his eyes and hair. Nice to know I had a little part in that. :)

Comments

Dan said…
incredible writing, Sarah. I see a daily devotion book in the works! How wonderful it will be some day for Ben to read your writings! Bless you! Dad

Popular posts from this blog

In a Nut Shell...

Comments

Crafty Me